• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there an easy way to extend bump stops?

Ive used black hockey pucks for years. RTVd together. One side got loose once. I wheeled it for years with loose hockey pucks in there. RTVd the heck out of it, hasnt moved for years. PLus you can slide one in at a time. I have a hell of time prying them off everything I pull the front end off for rebuilding...

the issue with just hockey pucks is that then you have a bolt sticking up above them that will chew up the stock bumps.

and you will eventually destroy the pucks with the stock bump towers.

the RE units have a recessed hole for the bolt and are a much harder plastic that will hold up a lot better to strikes.

841042-1-wood-boring-spade-bit.jpg

local sproting goods stores have them for a buck used, dicks used to have em cheap but it seems there up to $2 NOW

I'm willing to bet they are harder to find in the south where there is a lack of ice. Hell, they arent always in stock at sporting goods stores up here when hockey is out of season.

I used rubber mallets from Northern tool. They are about 5". I only needed 3" so I cut them down with a sawzall. Obviously need to cut the wooden handle off too.
Gorilla glue holds them down to the lower spring mount.

I bought some UHMW 3" cylinder stock.

Bandsaw to cut it to length.

Drill/recess for bolt.

Drill/tap coil bucket.

Install.

Works just fine and no cracking or chunking.

So what about the rear bump stops? Is there an easy solution? I've already knocked the flare loose.

some square tubing can be used to extend the upper bumpstop mounting location. You can weld it in, or bolt it in. if you plan on wheeling hard with some hardh its Id recommend some uniframe reinforcement too.

Or you can make/buy some extended u bolt plates, or both.

Heres both with a universal poly bumpstop (3.5" tall)

bumps_zps2ee0ca64.jpg

What leaf packs are those?

clayton 4.5"/6.5"

only difference between the 4.5 and 6.5 is that newer lookin leaf in there.

apparently clayton has gone with a different spring setup since then too.

Back