• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it time to take down your flag?

Nice thoughts, guys, but the flag to which I refer is just a small five-and-dime flag that my father flew from the garage on holidays when he was alive. It has no historic significance. The flag the veterans' administration gave the family when my father died somehow ended up in my brother's possession, and has been cased.

TC,

Right-side decals do exist (although I can't think of a source right now). All of our emergency vehicles have them - check with your local VFD. When my wife built me some wooden flag panels to put on my roof rack, I made sure that the passenger side one was blue field forward.

BTW, if you are going to display one flag from the from the bumper of your vehicle - continue the flag's "own right" rule. That flag (fabric or panel) should be mounted on the passenger side.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Folks who would like to hold onto their flags for sentimental value should check out on the internet the CORRECT way to fold the flag into the "patroits hat" shape.

pretty neat.

I was a Boy Scout up untill last year. (they kick you out at 18)

They always told us that you could burn them at a ceremony. I've never done this though, as an alternative they always said you can put them in the trash, as long as the flag is ceremonialy folded the proper way, and wrapped in somthing.

Call the VFW or American Legion about the flag needing disposal, and visit the local meeting hall to deliver it (yes, that bar/saloon you have been avoiding all your life). I don't know if you have ever thought about the welcome you might receive visiting a VFW hall, but it may surprise you. The people who frequent the Hall may be worth your attention.

I too never visited a VFW hall in my younger days (except for a wedding and a few community meetings when I lived in a very small town) because I am not a Veteran. When I was old enough to legally drink, the anti-Vietnam stigma was strong enough to discourage a visit (that and the threat of getting my ass kicked ;) from some mean hombre "Eagle" character, for being ignorant about war).

When I traveled overseas, however, (specifically in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand), I found the various Veterans meeting halls are popular places in the community and usually granted special sales permits (alcohol sales, I'll admit what I was looking for). This liberal sales policy made these places a common community forum for local affairs (and a great place to have a drink). I seldom found a contrary anti-American soul in these halls. I never found anyone who judged me inferior for not participating in active Armed Service. The experience was quite different from the popular culture reputation these organizations receive here in the USA.

When I returned home I found the same warm attitude, and welcome, visiting the VFW hall in my old desert hometown (the same place I avoided except for the wedding and meetings).

Hindsight makes experience easy, and when I was very young the VFW and American Legion membership were always visible in the community, and this visible community participation dropped off after the Vietnam war (in my community). I have learned to believe these meeting halls were unfairly avoided after the Vietnam conflict, and unfairly lost much of their valuable positive influence on the community (in contrast to the healthy influence these halls have on community life in other countries). I don't know if stigmatizing the VFW was an intended result of the anti-Vietnam activist agenda, but the protestors succeeded in discounting a major positive community influence (along with the resource of experience within the VFW and American Legion).

It is troubling (to me) to realize that it took viewing my country's culture from half way around the world, from countries with no anti-Vietnam cultural baggage, to understand how popular culture unfairly minimized the influence of Veterans in our community since Vietnam (and organizations like the VFW). These folks will help you care for your flag, but they will also help you care for the community.

[as an alternative they always said you can put them in the trash, as long as the flag is ceremonialy folded the proper way, and wrapped in somthing.]

I don't know were your Scoutmaster got his information, but I strongly disagree with putting them in the trash, no matter how they are folded and wrapped. The amount of time expended to take them to the VFW, Legion, or your local BSA District office is minimal and Old Glory is definitly worth what time it would take you.

Wank

On a side note bout flags

Also note that just because the "Gold Fringed Flag looks pretty" doesn't mean you should buy and display it. A fringed flag is NOT a representation of symbol of the union of states that is America. Commonly referred to as a "Battle Flag", it is a sanctioned flag reserved for use by the General of the Army over military headquarters and courts of military law.

Unfortunately as commander in chief, the President is therefore able to employ the flag to denote a jurisdiction of the military. Since some presidents in the past lived civilian lives, the usage of the flag has become bastardized as it appealed to politicians for use as a backdrop in photographs. Several interpretations of the acceptable use and adornment of the American flag have led to missuse of this flag as well.

Did your school, local courthouse or even state capital display a gold fringed flag? If so they are in essence declaring the site as a military jurisdiction.

I'm not saying you've broken the law if you're using a gold fringed flag, but do keep in mind what the true symbolism of such a flag means, and please consider purchasing an appropriate flag.

Just a thought that came to mind when I walked past our supply office and noted they had a battle flag in the storage area for ceremonies.

Here's a link to a site that discusses the Battle Flag

Oh I didn't trust my scoutmaster either. assistant acually. I've never witnessed either meathod being practiced. We always saved them untill that time of the year, when we'd take them to summer camp (camp drake) and they would take them at the office. dunno what they did with them, but they said they were burned individually. I think OA did it. I never really was very interested in personally destroying a flag, torn or not.

I'll check what it says in the handbook tonight

Correction/Truth about the fringe

Skorpyo,
The fringe restriction only applies to flags used within the United States Army, and this is only a custom, no one will be court-marshalled for having a gold fringed flag. Civilians, other government agencies, and other military services are not restricted in any form from having gold fringe on their flags. However, fringe should only be used on battle flags as you stated, or indoor only flags.

posted below is taken from the CRS Report for Congress; The United States Flag: Federal Law Relating to Display and Associated Questions:

Ornaments on Flag Staffs, Fringes on Flag

The Flag Code is silent as to ornaments (finials) for flagstaffs. We know of no law or regulation which restricts the use of a finial on the staff. The eagle finial is used not only by the President, the Vice-President, and many other federal agencies, but also by many civilian organizations and private citizens. The selection of the type finial used is a matter of preference of the individual or organization. The placing of a fringe on the flag is optional with the person or organization, and no Act of Congress or Executive Order either requires or prohibits the practice.
Fringe is used on indoor flags only, as fringe on flags used outdoors would deterioraterapidly. The fringe on a flag is considered an "honorable enrichment only" and its official use by the Army dates from 1895. A 1925 Attorney General’s Opinion states:

The fringe does not appear to be regarded as an integral part of the flag, and its presence cannot be said to constitute an unauthorized addition to the design prescribed by statute. An external fringe is to be distinguished from letters, words, or emblematic designs printed or superimposed upon the body of the flag itself. Under the law, such additions might be open to objection as unauthorized; but the same is not necessarily true of the fringe.

Semper Fi,
Dennis

Beezil said:
Folks, the star field belongs ON THE LEFT as viewed from the outside of a building. If you have the flag displayed in a window where it can be visible on both sides, it is best dso that the star field is on the left as viewed from the exterior.

Actually not to sound like an @ss, but when a flag is flown vertically on a building and the street primarily runs east-west, the union will be at the top and to the north. If the street runs north-south, display union at the top and to the east. Just looking out for the flag. Info via Air Force Pamphlet 35-2241 vol 1 pg. 103. I don't think this is just an Air Force thing, but it may be.:confused: Just trying to help.

K9Cop said:
Actually not to sound like an @ss, but when a flag is flown vertically on a building and the street primarily runs east-west, the union will be at the top and to the north. If the street runs north-south, display union at the top and to the east. Just looking out for the flag. Info via Air Force Pamphlet 35-2241 vol 1 pg. 103. I don't think this is just an Air Force thing, but it may be.:confused: Just trying to help.

This is not just an Air Force thing, it is part of flag ettiquette ... but you're not interpreting it correctly.

When a flag is flown (draped) on the face of a building, such that it cannot be seen from the rear, only from the street or "outside," the applicable rule is "Flag's Right." The star field belongs on the upper right as viewed from behind the flag looking out toward the observer.

The orientation to which you refer is applicable in the case of a flag hung from a cable which runs across a street or open space, such that the flag can be viewed from either side.

thanks eagle....I was about to say the same thing.....

my #1 pet peeve next to folks flying thier flag un-illuminated at night.....

damn, how the hell did anyone find this thread????

this things dates back to last spring!

:doh:
After doing more research (which I should have done before jumping into a post) I read the paragraph above what I originally read and it is when it is over a street ie on a wire. Earlier all I saw was "When hung vertically" so I read that. I'm usually more careful when reading, but I missed it. Sorry about that...:cheers:

Anyway, I found this thread, when I was searching for "Decals" of all things. I am looking for some decal still. Pfunk has some good ones from JU, but I want something different and just can't find it.
:patriot:

:us: Still flying,Still lit at night.

hey! that's quite alright!

I think its cool there's a certain percent of the population that minds the flag and looks out for it!

and you were doing just that!

the way I was decribing it, and the way you were decribing the way the flag hangs in a certain situation are both correct, we just got goofed on the situation part, and that fine, cause the info is still out there, and there's nothing wrong with bringing this thread to the top.....

What if hte flag is on one of those flag holder do-dads on the front of your garage where it is half way between horizontal and vertical? I know this sort of sounds smart assed, but our family business has used the flag like this for our 'open sign.' It stays on the wooden pole, but is secured indoors every night.

Dan

Who makes a decent priced flag pole. I've wanted to put one in my side yard for a few years now but the ones I looked at that were over 18 ft tall were in the $400 range.

dan, in that sitaution the flag just hangs. all the talk about when the flag is vertical was meaning when it is draped on a wall so it is visible on one side only.....stars on the left if the flag is hung vertically draped in a window, stars on the left as it is viewed from the outside.

also...isn't it true that the American Flag, at least in this Country should always be displayed above any other flag (state flag included) if displayed together?

Back