• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is it possible to make shackle mounts with stock front bumper

I might buy those shackle mounts, and put them where I have my hooks. I once had a guy try to pull me out of a spot(impossible to pull out of at that angle), he had a gigantic strap, and he yanked very hard. The front part of my hook actually broke off, was slung by his strap through his back window, embedded itself into his windshield frame, and shattered his windshield.

It was either a flaw in the hook's casting, or my XJ just felt like causing some damage to a Wrangler that day...

did ya offer to pay for his stuff to get fixed? wanna know ur first mistake? not laying something heavy on his gigantic strap like a chain or another strap to not make it fling like that... but im glad i could help others out with my issue.

did ya offer to pay for his stuff to get fixed? wanna know ur first mistake? not laying something heavy on his gigantic strap like a chain or another strap to not make it fling like that... but im glad i could help others out with my issue.

I did offer, but he didn't want anything, and we both signed a release of liability prior to being there. He didn't offer to get me a new hook. The guy was, to be perfectly blunt, a giant douchebag. He got out of his Jeep yelling obscenities about me buying cheap hooks (they were rated the same as his, 20k lbs), and went on to say "I bet I could hit your other hook with a hammer once and snap it right off!" So of course I got my hammer out so I could watch him beat on it for a few minutes. It was really my first and only bad people experience at one of that club's events.

Yes, something heavy should have been placed on his strap, and I know their was winch line weights on hand, as one was used on the winch line that was eventually used to get me out. I should have said something, because it was impossible in the location I was in for me to actually get out and do it myself.

Nonetheless, if you must hook a 4" 60k lb rated strap to a 20k rated hook, do not allow 5 feet of slack in it, get in your V8 YJ, rev it up and drop the clutch.

ROFL, sounds to me like he was itching to cause damage IMHO... so touche for ur xj throwing a hook at him for trying to yank you out of a bad situation, idk what my rope is rated for but im thinking its pretty high.

heres my recovery strap... er rope 17 feet from end to end
Newsling.jpg

I might buy those shackle mounts, and put them where I have my hooks. I once had a guy try to pull me out of a spot(impossible to pull out of at that angle), he had a gigantic strap, and he yanked very hard. The front part of my hook actually broke off, was slung by his strap through his back window, embedded itself into his windshield frame, and shattered his windshield.

It was either a flaw in the hook's casting, or my XJ just felt like causing some damage to a Wrangler that day...

How much of a full-throttle running start did the guy get before the strap pulled tight? I've seen people numerous times do this when 90% of the time a simple small tug or even a taut pull from the start will do the trick. Glad no-one got hurt.

How much of a full-throttle running start did the guy get before the strap pulled tight? I've seen people numerous times do this when 90% of the time a simple small tug or even a taut pull from the start will do the trick. Glad no-one got hurt.

seriously though... had 5 ft of slack, im willing to bet he just jumped on it and gave it all it had, i've seen this all too many times at the beach... if he would of had a d ring instead of a hook, no telling what kind of damage could of been done to the stuck vehicle, he should really be fortunate his hook did break when it did yanno?

I have them and I love them. No one has stolen my shackles yet. And they DON'T rattle.

Buy and them and have fun. You will have to Drill an extra hole on the passenger side but that is the only extra modding my needed. If you have a skid plate that will also need to be trimmed a lil to fit the shackles. Pics are in my build thread in my Sig.

lol i tried calling you earlier but you didnt answer... do you need anything else that you can think of? I know someday you will have something for me so remember all of this lol

i got it from my brothers ex wifes father in law... idk if he can still get them seeing as to they are divorced now but i can see, his 20 footers (more closer to 17 feet) are 40 bucks i believe. think basically its 2 dollars a foot

Back