• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a low-pinion that bad? Should I skip this lifted '00?

do it.. i run a lp 30 wit 4.56s lockrite and 35s with stock shafts and it holds up great (so far) i do have a lp that i am waiting to swap when it does blow up but so far good as new.

i only ran with it cause i got a killer deal on it with a d44 with 4.56s and a detroit.

I had the same question before buying my 01. I'm sticking with a 3.5" lift and 31's for a couple years and then I'll deal with it then. I got mine this summer with 86,000 miles and everything works and it's a smooth comfy ride compaired to my 90 XJ.

Buy It...

You should be fine with an LP. I've got a welded 35 in the rear of my (trail only) 89 and it's still going. I'm 58 yrs old and I don't try to "make it go". That's what breaks stuff.

You will probably never damage the ring gear on a LP D30 with 33" tires. You can always get a lock out hub conversion for the LP D30. With lock out hubs the front driveshaft will only spin when you ingadge 4wd. So the angle on the front drive shaft wont matter. As far as the 0331 head goes I have only heard of one person actually cracking it and that was due to a severe overheat. The 00 and 01 XJ's have electronic ingnition wich is an upgrade over previous years that have distributors. If the XJ you are looking at has the offroad package i.e. 8.25 rear end track lock, gas tank skid, transfer case skid, and the gears have been swaped to 4.10 or 4.56 then I would defenalty buy it and invest in some lock out hubs.

Good advice, except I believe a HP swap would be cheaper than hub conversion.

Re: Is a hi-pinion that bad? Should I skip this lifted '00?

As for the ignition system, that can be debated to death. I for one would take a modern distributorless ignition any day over a 100 year old design. But that is just my humble opinion.

X2

Not as prone to water, cost about the same to replace as QUALITY cap, wires, coil, etc., gets better/stronger spark to where you need it, less likely to fail.

What's not to like?

Back