• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IRON ROCK OFFROAD

wannajeep said:
I put my Iron Rock long arm upgrade in after being very happy with the track bar and mout, bought all of it through a local dealer at a reduced price. I have run the long arms for about a month now and am nothing but pleased with it. I cut the old mounts offf because the parts will outlast my 89 anyway. I only have a 4" and 31s and at full stuff the arms clear the stock mounts. You will need to limit downtravel somehow though, and make sure your brakelines are long enough.

IMG_2087.jpg
OMG!Talk about total loss of ground clearance.I didnt realize it was so bad.The arms and upper mounts are bad enough!Where do get any up-travel without hitting the LCA pocket?

doodahman said:
Actually, I did replace the bushings with Teraflex Superflex joints. I haven't tried running with 3 arms since then though. I'll have to try it.
That will seriously stop the axle wrap?

Is there any other concerns with eliminating one of the upper arms?

rubber bushings have alot more give in them and are more prone to wrapping.

my next concern with disconnecting an upper arm would be the 10mm bolts. I wouldnt trust a 10mm bolt, if it breaks you will risk bending your shocks , breaking your brake hoses, breaking a front driveshaft and possible steering damage.

but in all honesty, why would we be doing this? im sure you get plenty of flex out of what you have now and disconnecting one arm will make for neglible gains

ktm racer 419 said:
...but in all honesty, why would we be doing this? im sure you get plenty of flex out of what you have now and disconnecting one arm will make for neglible gains

What I have noticed is that with the 4 arms, at full flex, the upper arms are trying to pull/push the top of the axle in 2 different directions. It seems to me that this would cause fatigue on the axle tube eventually causing a failure.

The other reason I pose the question is that I really need to convert to a radius arm design due to the fact that I can't adjust the caster correctly because if I do, the pinion angle is too far off and binds at full flex.

Even if I converted both lower arms to radius arms and attached the uppers to the lowers it would still torque the axle in opposite directions at full flex.

...and No, a limiting strap is not an option.

Back