• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intsalling new radiator tips?

RenoHogHead

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I posted before about my 89xj giving me hell and running hot at highway speeds and not when putting around town. I have rigged the elc. fan to a switch. I got to thinking about it and called my buddy at the Jeep dealers parts dept who has 40 yrs there!

He thought I probably needed a new radiator since the one in it now is the original and 20 yrs old! He was also cool enough to turn me onto a local place to get one that the dealer uses to get theirs when Mopar quits making them. Since mine falls into that category! Which surpised me since they still make the expansion tanks and pressure caps and many other things.

Anyhow, I got a new rad. from Performance Radiator which is where the dealer gets theirs when they need one they cant get or dont have. I got a steal on it! They were cool enough to give it to me at the wholesale price they give the dealer since I dropped the right name! Gotta love networking! So I got the rad. for 120 vs. the 280 or so employee discount I would get through the dealer if they got it from the same place after marking it up etc.!!!!

Since I will have everything out I am going to put a new return line to the water pump from the bottom of the rad. which I will get from the dealer tomorrow at a great price. I all ready had a new OEM temp. unit for the rad. so I put that on all ready with some teflon to keep it from leaking. I will also put a new expansion tank on, and pressure cap. So far I have done the water pump, and thermostat (OEM) and new belt. So minus a fan clutch the whole system will be "new".

My question is this. Does anyone have any tips on changing out the radiator??? I know when i did the water pump it was a pain in my a$$ and took me about 6 hrs from start to finish! I would love to meet the design engineer that made the power steering pump braket and put the casting sprue above the crankshaft pully! Anyhow, if anyone has any tips to make this replacement easier and less time consuming it would be much appreciated. Also, has anyone here used any of the Performance Radiators in their Jeeps? If so how do you like them? Mine is all aluminum and I will be draining the whole system and "burping it" to get any air pockets out.

Thanks for your input!

My advice is to go ahead and replace the fan clutch, too, if it is more than a few years old. It's an easy/cheap job made even easier with the radiator out. Consider going with the ZJ HD fan clutch as an upgrade...quick search, it's all the buzz on here lately. I don't have any input on the aluminum rad that you have, but hopefully you will like it as well as I like my CSF 3-row...these 4.0s definitely benefit from more efficient cooling. Good luck.

Eric

Back