• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interloper from the South with a question

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Myself and a group of friends were planning to Run El Camino Del Diablo trail in AZ the weekend of April 11th - 14th. Now, however, after procuring proper passes, we find out that we can't thanks to some sheep migrating or some such.

So, we got to thinking it would be nice to see Yosemite. The thing is, none of us want to go from 4 days of nothing but dirt and camping to 4 days of hotels in order to see Yosemite.

Are there any mild (like basically forest trails or fire roads) kind of routes that are available for exploration in the Yosemite area? None of us are looking for knarly rock crawling, in fact, the Jeep with the smallest tires of the group will have 30's on it, and the biggest tires of the group will likely be 35's (on a Ford pickup). Sure, there might be a 715 with 42s, but he is ok with being bored. There are going to be 5-7 vehicles (5 definite), with most of them being unlocked and on ATs. We've all got tow points front and rear, some have winches, we've got recovery equipment and tools, but minimal spare parts and none are looking for body damage.

We are looking for more of an expedition kind of trip than a hard core wheeling kind of trip. El Camino Del Diablo is like 130 miles of dirt. Something along those lines would be AOK.

So, do any of you guys know the area? I'm an Eastern transplant to So Cal, and while I've been to Yosemite, it was easily 15 years ago, if not more. So, not only do I have no idea of what can be found for a Jeep-based camping/exploration trip, but no idea even where to start looking.

And before you all go bashing me for going out in the wilderness without ever having been to that particular wilderness, we've got GPSs, compasses, maps, and always err on the side of caution. Also, a few in the group are very experienced with backwoods camping and survival.

So, with that in mind, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

The only thing I know of is Old Yosemite Road which you can get to via Coulterville and Hwy 132. The route is all dirt from I think Greeley Hill(?) to Foresta which is in Yosemite National Park. The route starts off on Old Yosemite Road then turns into Old Coulterville Road, there are many turns and branches with lots of vistas and cool camp sites.
If you look around there are some old homestead ruins...
standard.jpg

My favorite place along the route and a nice spot to camp, Little Nellie falls...
standard.jpg

Vistas apear once you enter the park...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The road is easy, a stock XJ could easily make it assuming you don't run into anything like this...
standard.jpg

We'd be able to winch that outta the way... lol.

Maybe rocker protection would be a good idea.

Any idea of distance, or a website to look at?

I'll google "Old Yosemite Rd" though.

Thanks

Last edited:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/touring.htm

And that, which states:

the most famous scenic drive is along the Tioga Road, a 39-mile (62 km) drive from Crane Flat to Tioga Pass. The road is typically open from late May or early June through sometime in November

I understand elevation changes and snow coming through, but the weather I was looking at for the area looked to be above snow-bearing weather for that time of year. Any of you guys run Tioga Road? Got any insight?

over2land said:
We'd be able to winch that outta the way... lol.

Maybe rocker protection would be a good idea.

Any idea of distance, or a website to look at?

I'll google "Old Yosemite Rd" though.

Thanks

Rocker protection not needed. It's probably a little more than 20 miles on dirt roads.

Tioga Pass is Hwy 120(paved), I have only driven that road to the turn off to Yosemite Valley. I'm sure there are some nice views once you get up on top though.

Jes said:
Rocker protection not needed. It's probably a little more than 20 miles on dirt roads.

Tioga Pass is Hwy 120(paved), I have only driven that road to the turn off to Yosemite Valley. I'm sure there are some nice views once you get up on top though.

So it is about a day to run it with stopping to see things?

Jes said:

120 is a really nice drive thrue the park, great views and the back side out of the park is a nice drop down in to Mono Lake, but I don't think the Tioga pass will be open till late may or even June with all the snow this year so far.

over2land said:
Is Tioga pass necessarily Tioga Road?

Is that 38 mile section of road I was talking about going over the pass?

Yeah, Tioga Pass is the top part of Tioga Road also it is part of 120, right around Crane Flat is where the road is closed off in the winter time, I am not sure where it is closed off on the east side of the park.

Back