• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interesting wiring

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
It's always good when you decide to clean up under the raised floor and as you are carefully unsnaking all the stuck extra unused wires and cables you accidentally trip one of those dam apc power strips with the easy operate on/off button that just happens to turn out to supply what you thought were separate power strips to the redundent power supplies on 12 of your servers.
I could have used the past 3 hours much better.
Monday I need to unsnake 18 serial cables from that mess.

I can't wait till we move into our new building and I can do things neatly and have enough outlets to power the racks directly.

oh god... that blows.

I'm really OCD about my wiring, velcro strips, lacing twine, and zip ties are used in excess whenever I build up a rack.

Been there, done that...... found an 8' strip running under the floor in my production data center a few months ago.

Then there was the email this morning..... from a couple of guys who want to extend a cluster, yet keep it all in the same enclosure.......

The hp rack I just got with my 6600's in it has 4 power wires out the bottom, 8 network cables out the top, two to the network and 6 to the adderview switch. I mounted a 12 port procurve gb switch in the rack that all the servers connect to. Taking all my networking stuff out the top now.

Ethernet & F/C go out the top now, power comes in from the bottom.

Just out of curiosity, why rx6600s? That's a max of 4 dual core processors, granted, 192gb of RAM. Why not the Itanic blades in a C7000 enclosure?

Ethernet & F/C go out the top now, power comes in from the bottom.

Just out of curiosity, why rx6600s? That's a max of 4 dual core processors, granted, 192gb of RAM. Why not the Itanic blades in a C7000 enclosure?

Didn't we have this discussion a while back LOL... I like these 66's, rock solid and the important deciding factor, so did the company owner :D :D :D
I just ordered my 80KVA liebert UPS today. Now I need to find a moving company that will physically move my servers in the racks and another company that can pack up and move my avaya phone system and hook it backup with the same port numbers and extensions I have now. Last weekend of april will be interesting...

It's always good when you decide to clean up under the raised floor and as you are carefully unsnaking all the stuck extra unused wires and cables you accidentally trip one of those dam apc power strips with the easy operate on/off button that just happens to turn out to supply what you thought were separate power strips to the redundent power supplies on 12 of your servers.
I could have used the past 3 hours much better.
Monday I need to unsnake 18 serial cables from that mess.

I can't wait till we move into our new building and I can do things neatly and have enough outlets to power the racks directly.

You have my sympathies on that score; I once worked at a place where one of the datacentres had been in place since about the late 1970s. The concept of removing cabling from under the raised floor as it went out of service was completely foreign to them, so for a quarter-century they'd just been layering new cabling on old. Floor tiles were pushed up all over the place by the cabling under them, some three or four inches above floor level.

They spent a lot of time wondering why certain racks close to the pushed-up tiles couldn't run as cool as other racks in the 'new' end of the datacentre...

You should be able to get rx6600 chassis for a pittance. I don't know if they're still in production (ask me on Tuesday night, I'll see the HP salesdroid at the hockey game,) and they should be available on the used market.

You have my sympathies on that score; I once worked at a place where one of the datacentres had been in place since about the late 1970s. The concept of removing cabling from under the raised floor as it went out of service was completely foreign to them, so for a quarter-century they'd just been layering new cabling on old. Floor tiles were pushed up all over the place by the cabling under them, some three or four inches above floor level.

They spent a lot of time wondering why certain racks close to the pushed-up tiles couldn't run as cool as other racks in the 'new' end of the datacentre...

When I was at lucent in Liberty corners we started cleaning up under the 36" deep raised floor, we filled 4 dump truck sized dumpsters just with bus n tag cable near the end. That was in the football field computer room
The cabling was up against the raised floor framing in a bunch of spots, that project went on for 6 months, on fridays, all the sa's and se's. the really funny part was we had cable running in from one wall the going out another and had no clue where they came from or went to, so we left them alone and in place.

The corporate data center for a previous employer had a raised floor with more than 6' of clearance below. The floor itself was something in excess of 80,000 sq. ft.

When I was at lucent in Liberty corners we started cleaning up under the 36" deep raised floor, we filled 4 dump truck sized dumpsters just with bus n tag cable near the end. That was in the football field computer room
The cabling was up against the raised floor framing in a bunch of spots, that project went on for 6 months, on fridays, all the sa's and se's. the really funny part was we had cable running in from one wall the going out another and had no clue where they came from or went to, so we left them alone and in place.
run into any "more magic" cables? i.e. cables which weren't plugged in at one or both ends, but caused hell when removed?

http://ftp.sunet.se/jargon/html/magic-story.html

(the XJ's "more magic" switch is only present on 91 and earlier vehicles equipped with the AW4... though the fog light switch on my MJ is about the same)

Back