• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interesting HiLift storage solution

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
So I was poking around last night killing time before a dinner gig, when I spotted this interesting solution for storing a HiLift style jack on a 97+ XJ-

14615681_10210738557648434_3852202420646753401_o.jpg

Thoughts? I thought it was pretty creative solution to storing one of these jacks. It was secured with a bike cable to what looked like a factory hole in the frame. I started a pretty good debate on rear bumpers a while back, but now I'm kinda thinking...

flip it over so the back up lights aren't blocked....................

But muh approach and departure angles!!! Lol. Part of the debate I sparked was the pros and cons of running a receiver hitch in the bumper vs an actual bumper. Now I'm almost thinking about something like, just a simple 3/16" basically C-channel bumper with some D-ring mounts, and a way of storing a HiLift like this, with an actual trailer hitch.

lose the tailpipe then........:cool:

Heh, already past that. :D Part of the reason I'm looking at a new bumper is because a rear-ender a while back wiped out my factory one, along with my exhaust system, pretty much all the way up to the muffler. I sawzalled the crumpled section off just ahead of the back axle, which is fine because the exhaust hanger was junk anyways. Waiting for a bit to do an oil change and fix some leaks so my engine doesn't dump oil all over the $1,200 exhaust system I plan on putting in. All new, good, nice everything, you name it, from header to tailpipe...

Two problems I see. Mud and dirt flung up from the rear tires getting into the working mechnism, and the most likely place the bang a stock bumper is the corners. Quick access is very seldom required for a hilift.

My hilift rides inside bolted to the cargo floor.

Two problems I see. Mud and dirt flung up from the rear tires getting into the working mechnism, and the most likely place the bang a stock bumper is the corners. Quick access is very seldom required for a hilift.

this.

i have had very little use for a highlift on the trail other than as a come along.
i carry two of these and they have been AWESOME!

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/powerbuilt-3-ton-all-in-one-jack?cm_vc=-10005

Heh. If you saw the back of my Heep right now, you'd know that getting a can of brake cleaner of PB Blaster to clean out the mechanism would be a non-issue. :D Worst case scenario, they make covers for the mechanism.

I thought about the thing banging around inside the bumper, but while discussing it with the school's old engineering and machining instructor today, he kinda liked the idea of building an OEM style bumper like out of 3/16" thick square tube or possibly some 3/16" plate that was brake-pressed into a C-channel. I brought up the issue of the thing banging around in the bumper and he had an ingenious idea- just drill some holes in the bumper for some pins that could fit through the holes in the jack "shaft"!

I brought up the issue of the thing banging around in the bumper and he had an ingenious idea- just drill some holes in the bumper for some pins that could fit through the holes in the jack "shaft"!

fastening it down wasnt assumed?

still sounds like a PITA to secure. that area is always caked up with crap... and i pressure wash mine religiously after wheeling for inspection/reprep

What I was trying to point out is that the most likely location of the rear bumper to smash down onto trail obstacles, is the corners. Not to mention, in the North Woods of Minnesota mud puddles can be half way up the taillights in depth.

If you are going to build anything, build a spare tire swing and mount the hilift there. My hilift is inside, some of the other guys like to put it on the roof.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
I use mine so much I turned it into a flag pole.......flag not on it in the pic

IMG_20160731_140136914.jpg

In my 20 years of hard wheelin, I have only used my HiLift for myself, once. I have used it for others. It is an important tool to carry. Better to have and not need than to need and not have

My HiLift has spent its last ten years bolted to the floor under the rear seat.
It has never been used except for a test or two, when it was new.

The Powerbuilt jack looks very interesting, would need to find a place for it.
The built in jack stand is a nice safety feature.

My HiLift has spent its last ten years bolted to the floor under the rear seat.
It has never been used except for a test or two, when it was new.
Not sure if I would want it on the rear bumper, the bumper's corners have been wacked too many times.
Had to do something to lessen the impacts so the corners are mostly gone now, leaving no space for a jack.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157630992095828/

The Powerbuilt jack looks very interesting, would need to find a place for it.
The built in jack stand is a nice safety feature.

Best place for a HL jack is inside where it stays clean and dry. And I've never used mine to get unstuck either. My biggest use has been in getting my jeep up on stands to install a lift and skid plates.

I also have mine under the rear seat along with my spair front axles keeps then dry, clean, and the weight low and in the center of the vehicle.

x3
keep my hi-lift inside. I have an interior roll cage that it's strapped to.
It's never been used, but the day I take it out i'll need it.

I keep mine inside or strapped on the roof rack but don't store it there. My Hi lift has saved my bacon more times than I care to admit. I want it to be clean and lubed the instant I need it. Mounting it under the rear seat is something that I have yet to look into. The only issue I might have would be that's where my ARB compressor is.

Last edited:
Back