• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intake manifold problem!!

so when you get into replacing the head gasket do you have to replace the thermostat gasket? Also do you have to take off the distributer? I am also haveing a terrible time trying to find another washer for the bolt that was missing on my intake manifold. Any help would be appreciated.

Might as well replace the thermo and gasket while your working on it...

You dont have to take off the distributor.

Im sure theres someone around you with one, if not theres always the junkyard...

Ahh if youve never done it. Be ready for a pain in the butt :D

get yourself out the swivel sockets and extensions to get all those manifold bolts off.

Search around on here, i know 5-90 has replied to some threads on this same topic. (Hes pretty in depth in explanations)

Good luck.

What about removing the head with the manifolds in place? I've seen that suggested before and it makes sense to me. I'm asking because I have to change my cracked 0331 head soon, and it might help bigboyslimjimbo too.

I replaced mine like that so i see no reason why you couldnt take it out like that either...

Sounds like a better plan.

Like this. Waaaay easier.

IMG_6704.jpg

Looks like it would be way easier but, i already had the intake manifold off, because i was going to just replace the gasket when i found out that one of the bolts was broke off in there. I did finally got it pulled tonight and it was alot easier than i expected. I did however get the head out and it seems to have a little bit of carbon build up. Its kinda gunky, and i would like to get it cleaned. I thought maybe i could take it somewhere and see if they could clean that carbon off. Any suggestions? I still have the rocker arm springs in and i dont know what is the best approach. It is an 88' so i expected it to have some carbon build up but i really dont want ot put it back in that way.

$80 and you can have it nice and purdy rebuilt by a machine shop...

Back