• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake Idea

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a 98 Cherokee Sport thats essentially my DD in the city and I want to improve its intake. I essentially want to seal up the stock air box and pipe the air through the hood either with a vent or a small scoop. I cant begin to justify a snorkel system and the typical bolt on CAI's seem like a wast as long as theyre still sucking air from the engine compartment. Ive seen the one cut through the panel below the windshield but it seems like it would absorb way too much heat (its routed straight across the motor) plus I dont want to cut up anything that cant be replaced. What Im asking is has anyone done this or does anyone have ideas/thoughts?

LOL.. search? Its at the top of the first page!

You have a few ways to go. You could do like I did and cut a hole in the front panel. You could get a cowl hood and build a box around that like 1bolt did. You could build an air box similar to mine, but seal it to the hood and use a hood scoop, which I would have done if I a) had the engine out and b) didn't have heat vents already. You could do the cowl method you mentioned and use insulation on the tube like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14500/

I had already looked at Talyn's write up and its pretty awesome work. But Im still leaning toward going through the hood for fresh air as opposed to running behind the headlight

You have a few ways to go. You could do like I did and cut a hole in the front panel. You could get a cowl hood and build a box around that like 1bolt did. You could build an air box similar to mine, but seal it to the hood and use a hood scoop, which I would have done if I a) had the engine out and b) didn't have heat vents already. You could do the cowl method you mentioned and use insulation on the tube like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/THE-14500/

I was being polite.................

I think I like your airbox method sealed to the hood. Why do you think you would need the motor out to set it up though?

Frankly I dont think I have the fab skills to make it as clean as yours turned out, which made me think I wanted to use as much original equipment as possible. That probably made my thoughts dead end

I think I like your airbox method sealed to the hood. Why do you think you would need the motor out to set it up though?
I just updated the thread with the idea of making a shield to direct air from the first driver's side opening in the grille.

As for pulling the engine out, it would be easier to see where the air box would hit the closed hood.

Frankly I dont think I have the fab skills to make it as clean as yours turned out, which made me think I wanted to use as much original equipment as possible. That probably made my thoughts dead end
I don't think you can get away with using the stock aid box. It doesn't have to be pretty, but functional. You can bend aluminum with 2x4s and some muscle. I've done it before. If you don't like aluminum you can use fiberglass instead. You could get a K&N intake that has a shield and modify that so it seals better.

I was being polite.................

LOL

Last edited:
If I can get the box built and seat it. Im pretty sure I can get it to attatch to the hood without much trouble. My old trans am used to have a thick rubber gasket on top of the air cleaner that fit a hole through the hood below the scoop. I figure having a slightly elevetad lip (inside the scoop)to prevent excess rain water from getting into the air duct nd maybe a mesh screen or grille on the scoop to prevent large objects from getting in

I am unfamiliar with the trans am intake, but I used weather stripping from napa and some base board molding to seal mine. I couldn't find the weather stripping anywhere else at the right price and Napa was able to show me a cross section prior to ordering. I used the baseboard to fill the larger gaps, so that might work well for you.

If you are dedicated to this idea you could cut the hole for the scoop first than use the hole to scope out where to put and cut your air box.

Here's mine:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244542957&postcount=1

P1012152.jpg

P1012155.jpg

thats pretty cool! but i would still be worried about putting that thing in some water. i mean if you dropped into a hole dipping that corner... i think it would be great for a daily driver

THOR cowl intake, it draws in cool air from the cowl and moves your intake location up a little too.

-Alex

Back