• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing rack on a non factory fitted xj

GotayTexas

NAXJA Forum User
I got the rack off an '01 from a junk yard, and want to fit it onto my '97. My XJ wasn't built for a rack, so I can't exactly just bolt it on. Any methods for installing it?

I thought about doing the same thing myself. If I were to try I would get some short self-tapping sheet metal screws and caulk the holes. Idk how waterproof you could get it that way though. Interested to see what others have done.

Personally, I would take the factory fasteners out of the donor. Careful measurements and even more careful drilling will be required. IMO, remove the head liner prior to punching holes in the roof.

Sort of surprised that the rails for the factory rack are not already in place. Can'r say I have ever seen an XJ in that configuration.

use the well nuts. Drill hole, install with bolt/nut method. screw roof rails on.

What you are describing are nutserts. The well nuts are rubber and tighten with the install bolt.

OP, guessing that you want to use your roof to carry stuff? Instead of going through all of this for minimal weight ability. Why not go after market, or get something like JCR mounts and build your own, better, stronger rack?

Back