• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing AJ's Super Rock Rails

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I just got done installing AJ's Super Rock rails on my 95 XJ. It went way easier than I thought it would. I ended up not following the directions so I thought I'd post what I did here. I held the rock rail up in place and clamped it. Then I just marked the 4 pinch seam holes. I dropped the rail and drilled the pinch seam holes. Then I put a couple of bolts into the rail holes and lifted it up sliding the bolts into the holes and slipped nuts on. After installing all four bolts with washers and all, I mostly tightened them up. Then I took a hammer and banged the plates up to align them tight to the floor pan. Then I used the holes in the plates as a guide as I drilled the holes. My air wrench made quick work of driving in the self tapping bolts....Done in under an hour and they look great!
XJRockRails005.jpg

XJRockRails004.jpg

XJRockRails003.jpg

XJRockRails002.jpg

XJRockRails001.jpg

Looks easy enough, thanks good for me as I'm ordering mine from this this coming week with my tax refund. :cool:

Those self tappers are a PITA when you use a socket and rachet. Not bad but took me a lot longer than an hour to install mine. But it was worth. They are sweet rails. My front winch bumper should be here in a a few weeks. AJ emailed me and said he had started on it but was waiting on some new parts because the frame tie-ins and D-ring mounts have been redesigned. They were great before, can't wait to see the new design.

The self tappers are essentially worthless. A few of mine were shaken loose by a particularly bad excursion and do not have enough bite to tighten back up. I am not sure if I want to go to the next size bolt or drill through the channel and use longer bolts/nuts combo.

Maybe drilling a large hole underneath and using a nut on the inside is a better idea to regain the lost mounting strength.

i have to weld my on.. ughh not looking forward to it..

Had to use my electric impact to tighten the 4 self tap bolts on the mount legs don't really care much for those bolts but they seem to work.Speaking of drilling holes in my xj I have drilled over 30 holes to install different parts that's a lot of holes.

they're about identical to my JCR stage 2 sliders - I wonder who copied who?

No they aren't JCR's are made with 2x3 tube as opposed to 2x2 and the mounting system is a bit different. I love my JCR's! :D

I read some where a guy spot welded the self tapping bolt to the plates so they don't vibrate or get knocked loose. I'm going to do that tomorrow! Seems to me the pinch seam bolts are what really provides the strength anyway.

Installed mine last weekend, Screwed up a few of the holes so just going to have them welded to the frame. Dont really care, as there is no reason to remove them from the truck.

Just a weld on each side of the mounting plates going to the chassis, that would be easy to cut off if needed, just cut down the line next to the weld.

Re: Installing AJ's Super Rock Rails -- cont

I know this is an OLD thread --- have a few questions.
I do not trust self-tappers at all, any tricks to NUTSERTS ?

Also , when installing a wide Transfer Case skidplate that goes from
frame rail to frame rail -- anybody drill right through the frame rail
on each side and use a long bolt instead ????

Randy from Oceanside

Re: Installing AJ's Super Rock Rails -- cont

I know this is an OLD thread --- have a few questions.
I do not trust self-tappers at all, any tricks to NUTSERTS ?

Also , when installing a wide Transfer Case skidplate that goes from
frame rail to frame rail -- anybody drill right through the frame rail
on each side and use a long bolt instead ????

Randy from Oceanside

I have had good luck with my AJ's rails and self tappers. This is my second set of AJ's rails and the second Jeep and have not had a problem with either set.

I run a JCR transfer case skid and have drilled through the frame rail and use long bolts (4"?) with lock nuts. The nutzerts that came with the skid failed so I simply drilled through. Be careful not to hit your brake and fuel lines on the driver's side. Here's a photo from 2010 when I installed the skid.

ry%3D480

Last edited:
Do frame stiffeners first and you won't have an issue. :) You will have an issue drilling the 21/64" holes though. I just broke out the welder.

I also have a question about the use of nutserts to fasten implements such as the AJs to the frame. IIRC the thickness of the combined foot (plate) of the slider and the frame rail wall is just under 1/2 inch. I was told at Fastenal that there is no nutsert/rivnut with a grip range that would work with this thickness, which runs counter to what I've read about people using them for this application. Can anyone link to the nutsert/rivnuts and gun that would work for this pupose? The holes in the frame rail for the AJs sliders are 3/8 inch.

The foot plate doesn't have a nutsert through it. The framerail is a couple of layers of sheet metal, maybe 3/16" where they mount. The kit has you drill 21/64" holes in the frame rail and use self tapping bolts, not nutserts. I never had a problem with mine even used them to flip the jeep over from on it's roof. New jeep has frame stiffeners which add 3/16" to it, I just ran a bead along the front/rear/bottom of the footplate on the rails for this one. Oh, if you have an RK 3 link, AJ's foot plates interfere with the RK brackets.

The foot plate doesn't have a nutsert through it. The framerail is a couple of layers of sheet metal, maybe 3/16" where they mount. The kit has you drill 21/64" holes in the frame rail and use self tapping bolts, not nutserts.

You are correct, however when you remove the sliders for whatever reason (such as addressing rust issues on your rockers), the bolts don't cinch right up when reinstalling the sliders (at least mine didn't). I think with a lot of vibrating mine could work their way all the way out of the hole. Hence the need for an alternative fastener.

I do not want to weld the slider feet to the frame if I don't have to as I could conceivably need to take the sliders off again. I am not that enthusiastic about applying heat to my frame anyway.

I keep forgetting people live where there's rust. :) Yeah, there's only going to be so many times you can install/remove them. I only welded them because my frame stiffeners are 3/16" plate. You're probably looking at a nutsert that will grip from .120 to .250.

Mark

Back