• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed Hood Vents.

streetxj

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_20131214_154420_zps37e8e0f2.jpg

IMG_20131214_154431-1_zps9f8a8a5f.jpg

Congrats you did a very good job!!

got any pics from the underside?

I picked up the aluminium from Home Depot. Inexpensive and easy to form. A bench vice and some angle iron to extend the jaws is all that is required. As my vents are angled, I had to make the pans to reflect the differences. Fortunately, it was only a matter of making the bends in the opposite direction to accommodate the vents.

Here is a top side view of the vents:

P9090002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As to the placement of the vents, there are a ton of opinions out there. I wanted low speed extraction so they sit closer to the cowl...

In the past, I have used the "tape chunks of yarn to the hood" method. Cut pieces of yarn to about 1" in length and then tape them, on on end, onto the hood in a pattern. I use a 4" square but it is not all that important. More is better but don't get silly...

Then, as you drive, the yarn will start to point in the direction of air flow. Ideally, it will stand up. The place where it stands up at your target vehicle speed is where the vents go for best heat extraction at that speed. The pressure wave off of the windscreen will make an appearance once the speed gets up.

As it turns out, there is not a location that works universally.

This is a very Old School technique. But, considering I am well north of 60 years of age, what do you expect?

The only change I have made in the technique for that last 5 decades is to use blue painter's tape as the adhesive is so much easier to clean off of a hot hood. Some things just work.

I picked up the aluminium from Home Depot. Inexpensive and easy to form. A bench vice and some angle iron to extend the jaws is all that is required. As my vents are angled, I had to make the pans to reflect the differences. Fortunately, it was only a matter of making the bends in the opposite direction to accommodate the vents.

Here is a top side view of the vents:

P9090002.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As to the placement of the vents, there are a ton of opinions out there. I wanted low speed extraction so they sit closer to the cowl...

In the past, I have used the "tape chunks of yarn to the hood" method. Cut pieces of yarn to about 1" in length and then tape them, on on end, onto the hood in a pattern. I use a 4" square but it is not all that important. More is better but don't get silly...

Then, as you drive, the yarn will start to point in the direction of air flow. Ideally, it will stand up. The place where it stands up at your target vehicle speed is where the vents go for best heat extraction at that speed. The pressure wave off of the windscreen will make an appearance once the speed gets up.

As it turns out, there is not a location that works universally.

This is a very Old School technique. But, considering I am well north of 60 years of age, what do you expect?

The only change I have made in the technique for that last 5 decades is to use blue painter's tape as the adhesive is so much easier to clean off of a hot hood. Some things just work.

Repeat question from post #2,...Where are those vents from?

I need to add some hood vents to the hood of my XJ but I prefer to place them in the front section of the hood just behind the radiator the way they are placed in the Orvis XJ's. I think getting the hot air from under the hood just as it exits the radiator would be better for highway cooling both the radiator and the engine room in general. I do not do much off road.

I need to add some hood vents to the hood of my XJ but I prefer to place them in the front section of the hood just behind the radiator the way they are placed in the Orvis XJ's. I think getting the hot air from under the hood just as it exits the radiator would be better for highway cooling both the radiator and the engine room in general. I do not do much off road.

Read post 3

Like I wrote in my third post :D pontiac sunbird vents. My truck doesn't have any cooling problems on the highway. If anything, it cools down quite a bit on highway. It's during lots of stop and go traffic in which it slowly creeps up. Sitting on those long red lights on 80-90 degree takes it's toll. It never over heats. Just trying to keep it under the 210 mark.

Here are more pics:

IMG_20131215_120759_zps352382a4.jpg

IMG_20131215_125652_zps37e1f4ef.jpg

IMG_20131215_125704_zps966a8400.jpg

IMG_20131215_125734_zps7fe0a99a.jpg

33b54ba3-c703-40aa-951c-76dedfc84772_zps8fe2917d.jpg

They were made from a sheet of copper. The design is to allow as much heat escape as possible and to direct any water that penetrates them away from the electronics such as the ignition system and the intake area sensors.

Thanks awesome job. Love your wheels too, nice to see a unmolested XJ!

Thanks awesome job. Love your wheels too, nice to see a unmolested XJ!

Your welcome and thanks! The underside of the hood doesn't look so nice since it had the oem hood liner. I just took it off and threw it in the trash since it was kinda rough anyways. I was going to post the pics sooner but I got caught up in studying for the final exam I have this tuesday.

Back