• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed HD headlight harness now headlights stay on until ignition is turned off

Next time they stay on when they shouldn't, hit or tap the low beam relay with, say, a screwdriver handle. You should be able to figure out which is low and which is high beam by holding your hands on them, and have someone turn the lights on and off, and pulling the stalk to flash the brights. You should be able to feel the contactors pulling in and out. If the low beam relay mis-behaves, a quick shot may cause the contacts to release, if they are sticking. If that's the case, replace with the ones that the others have suggested. Or, next time you're at a pull-it yard, hit up a <'96 with factory fogs, most have two relays on the radiator bulkhead, just ahead of the air box.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this. I probably won't have any time to play with the Jeep for a few weeks (I have finals until the 22nd) but after that I'll see what's going on with the relays.

I was tied up with exams (law school) until late on the 22nd, and then the Christmas rush set in. I'm going to play around with it this weekend and will report back.

Tapping the relays with the handle of a screwdriver after turning the light switch to off didn't do anything, if that makes any difference.

My Lights were doing the same thing recently, I have the Big off road harness with what looks like the same crappy relays (Although they say 40A on them instead of 30).
Tonight I start up the Jeep Turn on the lights & NO MORE LOW BEAMS, I swapped the relays around & still no more Low beams! Hig beams work fine.
ANY IDEAS?
Its was too cold out to play with it tonight so i just jumped in my Car.

Tomorrow I am going to replace the relays, Does anyone sell the crappy relays?
Will Bosch relays snap into the connector or do I have to modify the harness?

Burn up the fusible link? Bad connection to the stock light connector? Those 4 pin relays are available (I'll find the link I saved if I can), and no, standard 5 pin relays won't fit the 4 pin socket.

edit- Freaking AutoZone's website... Anyway, Pilot PL-RY1 is the 30A relay they list- can't find the 40A at the moment (although you can probably find them on ebay, since you've got the brand, specs, and numbers...). If you take a relay into the store, someone will have a match.

Last edited:
OK, Turns out BOTH My Lo-Beams crapped out at the same time,
I checked both bulbs with my Fluke & the Lo-Beam curcuit was OPEN.
I replaced both bulbs with spares, Now I have Low-Beams !

PS: My Drivers side headlight connector was a little cooked, Not badly, But you can see it got a little Hot. I guess the 80W Low/100W High beam H4 bulb was a little too much for It, I replaced both bulbs with 55W/60W bulbs I had laying around.
BUT my Lo-Beams will still not turn off; The only way they turn off is if I switch on the Hi-Beams then turn off the light switch. I figured it had to be the crappy relays hanging up.
I found the Pilot 30A relays @ Pep boys for $6.99 each so I picked up 2 of them & swapped them out; Still same problem!
I don't think I have the light sentinel, If I did How long would they stay on before turning off?
ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ?

The easy way to tell if you have Headlight Sentinel is to turn your engine off, then turn off your headlights. All the other lights that come on with the headlights will go off- taillights, dashboard, parking lights, leaving only the two headlights on. Should stay on for about thirty seconds, then go out. If this happens, you're OK. To avoid the delay, simply push in the knob to turn them off before shutting off ignition.
Give it a try, then report back.

The easy way to tell if you have Headlight Sentinel is to turn your engine off, then turn off your headlights. All the other lights that come on with the headlights will go off- taillights, dashboard, parking lights, leaving only the two headlights on. Should stay on for about thirty seconds, then go out. If this happens, you're OK. To avoid the delay, simply push in the knob to turn them off before shutting off ignition.
Give it a try, then report back.

OK, it looks like I have the headlight sentinel, I turn off the engine turn off the headlights; headlights stay on for about 30 sec & shut off. Perfect!!

Now, the only thing I see wrong is that with the engine running, if I turn off the headlights they do not shut off.
Then if I shut down the engine they go off immediately.
With the engine running, shouldn’t the Headlights go off immediately when I turn off the Headlight switch?

Somehow, the coil in the relay is being powered through the ingition switch, when it shouldn't be. It should be powered by the headlight switch only. This wouldn't happen to be a Canadian or some other export model with DRLs or something like that, would it?

I don't have a wiring diagram handy, but could there be a common ground/power circuit in the sentinel feature that runs through the ignition switch? perhaps it's allowing the unswitched power directly from the battery to find a way to ground and closing the contacts in the sentinel relay in the process?

Somehow, the coil in the relay is being powered through the ingition switch, when it shouldn't be. It should be powered by the headlight switch only. This wouldn't happen to be a Canadian or some other export model with DRLs or something like that, would it?

No, Standard 2001 US Cherokee Sport.

TTT,

I have this issue with an LMC harness.

With fuse 3 and 4 removed from the fuse box in the kick panel the high beams work correctly. I do have factory fog lights and I'd like to keep them...

Even with those 2 fuses removed the low beams still stay on until either the ignition is turned off or I flash the high beams. Would removing the sentinel feature possibly fix this?

I don't understand why this is an issue. This harness worked perfectly fine in my early model.

If at all possible I'd like to be able to put my factory fuses back on so that my OEM fog lights would work...

I wonder if some properly placed diodes would help this issue?

If at all possible I'd like to be able to put my factory fuses back on so that my OEM fog lights would work...

I wonder if some properly placed diodes would help this issue?

Ever see this?

Courtesy of EZEARL

Suppose to be the fix:
If you have stock fog lights on a 97+ and upgrade your harness in a manner that uses the factory wiring to trigger some new relays, your fog lights will have and/or cause issues unless you make some additional modifications to address the problem. It doesn't matter if you use a plug and play harness like the eautoworks or if you split your harness open and completely strip out all the extra factory wiring like I did. The factory fog circuit will cause your new lighting system to not work properly.

If you do nothing, your headlights will work as mentioned above. Low beams will be fine, but after you turn on your high beams, they will not turn off again until you completely turn off your headlights. Big issue here is that when you switch back to low beams, both the high beam and low beam filament will be remain powered causing your bulbs to endure 115W worth of heat output instead of the 55W or 60W that they are designed for. From what I've read this can cause them to overheat and burn out within minutes.

So what is happening? If you look at the driver's side headlight plug (and you have factory fogs) you will notice there are two red wires coming out of one of the terminals. One is a small 18g Red wire which sadly is the stock high beam wire. The other is an even smaller 20g Red wire which ties into Fog Lamp Relay #1 in the PDC. Please keep in mind that Fog Lamp Relay #1 is NOT used to provide battery power to the fog lights the way we commonly use them with aftermarket lighting. It is located before the switch and simply cuts power to the Fog Light Switch unless the Headlight Switch and Beam Selector Switch are in the proper positions. It does this as law dictates that you can't run your high beams and fogs at the same time. Though not a problem here in CA, I've read that states with safety inspection programs will fail your vehicle if the lights don't operate this way.

I dug into the wiring diagrams but had to have kastein help me decipher them because there was something about this circuit that just wasn't making much sense to me. I still don't understand the function of Fog Lamp Relay #1 in its entirety, but we're only concerned with the part that is affected by the headlight harness anyways. Essentially, when your Headlight Switch is off, the relay coil receives no power and therefore won't allow your fog lights to come on. When your Headlight Switch is turned on, one side of the relay's coil receives 12V which causes the relay to activate and send power through to your Fog Light Switch. When you turn your high beams on, 12V is sent out to your headlight socket via the Beam Selector Switch, and then is sent back to the other side of the relay coil via the skinny Red wire on that shared terminal. This brings both sides of the relay coil to 12V, thus causing it to deactivate and turn off the Fog Light Switch. Weird huh? The factory designed it so that the relay is off with both sides at 0V, on with one side at 12V, and then off again with both sides at 12V. While it makes perfect sense now, this is the part that was confusing me.

So what's the problem then? Well, it turns out that even when the high beams are off, there is still approximately 5V on that skinny Red trigger wire for some reason which I still don't understand. While this is obviously not a problem in the factory configuration, it becomes a problem when you are using the high beam wire (which is directly tied into the skinny Red wire) to trigger your aftermarket high beam relay. A typical automotive relay requires approximately 8V to activate and needs to drop to somewhere below 1-5V to deactivate. When you first turn on your lights there is no problem because the phantom 5V is not enough to activate your new high beam relay. When you turn your high beams on, your new relay gets 12V and kicks on. When you go to turn off your high beams, the phantom 5V keeps the new relay from deactivating and voilà, your high beams are stuck on...

So how do we fix this? There are a few common suggestions that are out there that I just wasn't happy with, and a few that sort of work, but not as required by law:

1. Don't use your high beams, new lights are bright enough anyways (OK...)
2. If you have to use your high beams, turn your headlights off briefly to get them turn off (PITA)
3. Pull various fuses (lose your fog lights)
4. Pull the fog lamp relay (again, lose your fog lights)
5. Modify the fog lamp relay (fog lights work, but won't cut out when your high beams are on?)
6. Install a jumper in place of the fog light relay (fog lights work, but switch is always hot?)

One post I saw got it right though. lilredxj99 mentioned it in another thread which I didn't find until after the fact. The details were a little fuzzy and I still thought the issue deserved some further explanation so that's why I just wrote this damn novel...

Oh yeah, so the right way to do it... Cut the 20g Red Fog Lamp Relay #1 ground/trigger wire at the back of the driver's side headlight plug. Extend this wire using your preferred method so that it is long enough to reach your new aftermarket high beam relay. Splice it into the 87 pin (output) of your new high beam relay. If you have two 87's (which is ideal), either one is OK. Do not however use 87a if your relay has it!

Yep, that's it... Your high beams will now turn off when they're supposed to, your fog lights will turn on/off when they're supposed to, and your low beams will continue to work as they're supposed to. Sure you could have skipped all the way down to the bottom and found your answer, but you wanted to know how/why it works, right?

Ever see this?

Courtesy of EZEARL

Suppose to be the fix:
If you have stock fog lights on a 97+ and upgrade your harness in a manner that uses the factory wiring to trigger some new relays, your fog lights will have and/or cause issues unless you make some additional modifications to address the problem. It doesn't matter if you use a plug and play harness like the eautoworks or if you split your harness open and completely strip out all the extra factory wiring like I did. The factory fog circuit will cause your new lighting system to not work properly.

If you do nothing, your headlights will work as mentioned above. Low beams will be fine, but after you turn on your high beams, they will not turn off again until you completely turn off your headlights. Big issue here is that when you switch back to low beams, both the high beam and low beam filament will be remain powered causing your bulbs to endure 115W worth of heat output instead of the 55W or 60W that they are designed for. From what I've read this can cause them to overheat and burn out within minutes.

So what is happening? If you look at the driver's side headlight plug (and you have factory fogs) you will notice there are two red wires coming out of one of the terminals. One is a small 18g Red wire which sadly is the stock high beam wire. The other is an even smaller 20g Red wire which ties into Fog Lamp Relay #1 in the PDC. Please keep in mind that Fog Lamp Relay #1 is NOT used to provide battery power to the fog lights the way we commonly use them with aftermarket lighting. It is located before the switch and simply cuts power to the Fog Light Switch unless the Headlight Switch and Beam Selector Switch are in the proper positions. It does this as law dictates that you can't run your high beams and fogs at the same time. Though not a problem here in CA, I've read that states with safety inspection programs will fail your vehicle if the lights don't operate this way.

I dug into the wiring diagrams but had to have kastein help me decipher them because there was something about this circuit that just wasn't making much sense to me. I still don't understand the function of Fog Lamp Relay #1 in its entirety, but we're only concerned with the part that is affected by the headlight harness anyways. Essentially, when your Headlight Switch is off, the relay coil receives no power and therefore won't allow your fog lights to come on. When your Headlight Switch is turned on, one side of the relay's coil receives 12V which causes the relay to activate and send power through to your Fog Light Switch. When you turn your high beams on, 12V is sent out to your headlight socket via the Beam Selector Switch, and then is sent back to the other side of the relay coil via the skinny Red wire on that shared terminal. This brings both sides of the relay coil to 12V, thus causing it to deactivate and turn off the Fog Light Switch. Weird huh? The factory designed it so that the relay is off with both sides at 0V, on with one side at 12V, and then off again with both sides at 12V. While it makes perfect sense now, this is the part that was confusing me.

So what's the problem then? Well, it turns out that even when the high beams are off, there is still approximately 5V on that skinny Red trigger wire for some reason which I still don't understand. While this is obviously not a problem in the factory configuration, it becomes a problem when you are using the high beam wire (which is directly tied into the skinny Red wire) to trigger your aftermarket high beam relay. A typical automotive relay requires approximately 8V to activate and needs to drop to somewhere below 1-5V to deactivate. When you first turn on your lights there is no problem because the phantom 5V is not enough to activate your new high beam relay. When you turn your high beams on, your new relay gets 12V and kicks on. When you go to turn off your high beams, the phantom 5V keeps the new relay from deactivating and voilà, your high beams are stuck on...

So how do we fix this? There are a few common suggestions that are out there that I just wasn't happy with, and a few that sort of work, but not as required by law:

1. Don't use your high beams, new lights are bright enough anyways (OK...)
2. If you have to use your high beams, turn your headlights off briefly to get them turn off (PITA)
3. Pull various fuses (lose your fog lights)
4. Pull the fog lamp relay (again, lose your fog lights)
5. Modify the fog lamp relay (fog lights work, but won't cut out when your high beams are on?)
6. Install a jumper in place of the fog light relay (fog lights work, but switch is always hot?)

One post I saw got it right though. lilredxj99 mentioned it in another thread which I didn't find until after the fact. The details were a little fuzzy and I still thought the issue deserved some further explanation so that's why I just wrote this damn novel...

Oh yeah, so the right way to do it... Cut the 20g Red Fog Lamp Relay #1 ground/trigger wire at the back of the driver's side headlight plug. Extend this wire using your preferred method so that it is long enough to reach your new aftermarket high beam relay. Splice it into the 87 pin (output) of your new high beam relay. If you have two 87's (which is ideal), either one is OK. Do not however use 87a if your relay has it!

Yep, that's it... Your high beams will now turn off when they're supposed to, your fog lights will turn on/off when they're supposed to, and your low beams will continue to work as they're supposed to. Sure you could have skipped all the way down to the bottom and found your answer, but you wanted to know how/why it works, right?

Ha, he's funny.

Nice, I'll have to do that to make my fogs and high beams work correctly.

Now, I assume the low beam issue is going to be solved by a different fix?

Sounds like a similar issue... Perhaps it's getting residual power from the sentinel relay?

Last edited:
That explains why I never had this problem....
15 years ago when I purchased the factory fog light kit I opted to NOT connect the wire that will shut off the fog lights when the hi beams are activated.
Not a problem during vehicle inspection time because we don't have the vehicle inspection, but do have the annoying vehicle SMOG laws.

Back