• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

install time on RE drop brackets?

littlexj1

NAXJA Forum User
i will be doing it in my garage...no lift just jacks..lots of tools and a friend...i dont see it taking more than 2 hours...how long did it take you guys?

ok if you plan on it taking 2 hours go ahead and double that. you putting on the braces to?

2 hours is pretty quick for the first time. I'd plan on twice that easily.
SOAK those bolts with PB Blaster!

Done it three times now and they are a complete bitch. They always take more time than the rest of the lift.---------Kyle

did one on a yj last weekend, only took us about an hour, do yourself a favor and get air. Get a tranny jack if you can so you can lower the whole crossmember to the same level. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes!

And remember "DON'T" tighten anything down until you have all the bolts for the drop brackets and braces started into their correct holes. With the unibody, your holes might be off just enough that if you start tightening one part down, you might not be able to get another bolt in. Then you have to start all over!

Good luck...

jshwank said:
And remember "DON'T" tighten anything down until you have all the bolts for the drop brackets and braces started into their correct holes. With the unibody, your holes might be off just enough that if you start tightening one part down, you might not be able to get another bolt in. Then you have to start all over!

Good luck...
good advice, forgot that...

jshwank said:

Good luck...
Yep, that's the biggest tip you could get.

Follow the dont tighten rule, until everything is in place. and it should go smooth. I did mine by my lonesome in the driveway in about 3 hrs.......I had a hard time getting the lowers into the brackets with the stock adjusters, few whacks with a rubber mallet solved that .

i didnt order the braces...cause i am thinking of a sub frame like cross-member.....kinda like the skyjacker rock ready kit has....i realize that these brackets are gonna drag/hit everything so some kinda protection would be nice...i have lots of plate and square tubing so its free...i just need ideas.

I going to be installing these on my bro-in-law's XJ. He has about 6" lift with non adj upper and lower RE control arms on his 91'. I'm swapping in a non disco 297 u-jointed dana 30 open with 4.88 gears front axle and a rear early bronco ford 9" with 4.88 gears, a spool, and 31 spline Moser axles. Does anyone have a write up on how to install the drop brackets with the braces from RE? I didn't take a look at it too much yet, but isn't it pretty straight forward?

Troy

davidt said:
did one on a yj last weekend, only took us about an hour, do yourself a favor and get air. Get a tranny jack if you can so you can lower the whole crossmember to the same level. Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes!
YJs don't have control arms. you must be talking about a t-case drop, that is very different and much easier.

Big Red said:
I going to be installing these on my bro-in-law's XJ. He has about 6" lift with non adj upper and lower RE control arms on his 91'. I'm swapping in a non disco 297 u-jointed dana 30 open with 4.88 gears front axle and a rear early bronco ford 9" with 4.88 gears, a spool, and 31 spline Moser axles. Does anyone have a write up on how to install the drop brackets with the braces from RE? I didn't take a look at it too much yet, but isn't it pretty straight forward?

Troy
Try here

Thanks Bill. I know a guy in my area with a huge hydralic shop lift do this for my bro. I was going to have him do my gears and full width axle swap, but went with Ryan (Rawbrown) instead. I'll get a price quote and see if it's worth it. I swapped in my hp30/44 that were bolt in, but this scares me because I was planning on swapping these axles in on the street outside my bros parent's house. thanks for the info. RE is 5 miles down the street from me so I could get it from them too :)
Troy

Last edited:
davidt said:
did one on a yj last weekend, only took us about an hour, do yourself a favor and get air.
Very impressive, installing a part on a Jeep that it isn't nade for...

Two hours is a very conservative estimate for the DBs; if the Jeep has been offroad very much you may be amazed at how out-of-whack things have gotten under there. Start with the PB Blaster now, and again at least once more before actually doing it. Make sure you've got bolts in every hole before tightening anything, and don't be surprised if you see major gaps in some areas before tightening down. I found that it was a lot easier to tighten everything in sequence repeatedly until it was done. Factory torque specs should suffice, but yours may vary after you get it done.

BrettM said:
YJs don't have control arms. you must be talking about a t-case drop, that is very different and much easier.
yup, my bad brett, I am sooooo glad you are always there to correct me, btw, thanks for the advice...

Back