• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

install radiator?

redrockphil

NAXJA Forum User
I'm purchasing a new radiator. I want to install it myself, but am not sure exactly whats involved. Does anyone know where to get install info (96 country)? If anyone here has any advice or tips, they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's not difficult, just make sure you have a set of metrics and torx's. undo the fan shroud and aux fan from the core support, take out core support, take out radiator. Put it all back in reverse order. I know this is a simplified version, but it's the basics. I think once you've done this 5 or 6 times like I have, yo become an R&R expert.

HTH, Dan

I bought a GDI three core radiator for my '98 4.0. It did not have the locating tabs at the top of the radiator to hold the A/C condensor. I had to fabricate them. Later on i replaced the GDI because from new it seeped ever so slightly and did not want future problems with me now being so far from home. I was amazed with the quality of the OEM UC radiator, as well as it's performance this summer Utah heat. I know the temp gauges are known for their innacuracies but so far the temp has never indicated over 210 with A/C on and elec fan turned off with 105*+ temps.

One of the hardest things is removing the rubber transmission lines from the radiator. If you have plastic ears sticking out of the coupling then you press the ears against the line and pull.

If you don't have the plastic ears then you will need a 3/8" AC line tool to slide into the "cup" to push back the 4 retaining springs.

I also recommend you install new radiator and heater hoses while you have the radiator out. I am believer in chaning hoses every 4 years.

Also install a new mopar thermostat and a new radiator cap since you are installing a new radiator. It is smart money to replace at this time.

OK, I've been called a crackhead before, but I never thought anything of it before now. I just replaced my radiator with a GDI like a week ago. First, all my rubber tranny line had on it was a worm-drive hose clamp, which came right off. Second, what are the locating tabs for the AC condenser. Mine had a couple of little metal brackets that screwed onto both cores with little 5 mm nuts. Have I been hittin the stem again without knowing it, or did I just completely miss something important?

Karl,
Someone must have been there before.There should have been 6 studs on top of the radiator,a single stud close to the end for the bracket to hold the AC condenser and a pair of studs to hold the rubber mount with the stud that goes thru the core support.
Wayne

OK, I had all 6 studs, so maybe I'm not thinking of the right piece.

I just replaced mine last month. Got a great GDI 3-row from 1800radiator (radiator.com). My closed system was $129 shipped and it arrived at my house in two days (the newer open system like yours was $99, I think). You may have to ask for the internet Jeep club price. If you have AC, be sure to find the the baggie with the fittings before you throw out the packing material :eek:

On this web page there are two how-to articles for Cherokee installs, including photos.

1-800-radiator

I just installed it. The tranny line was a bitch. But I finally got it. Unfortunately, its leaking now. I just replaced the old yellow "ears" fitting. Do I need to get a new piece?

Back