• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Insane driveline slack - possible axle wrap?

OMG!! lol... That is a bit extreme I think.

Did you use a webcam to record that?

thats not good at all!

sadly.. hard to believe, but mine is worse.

i stopped on a hill while wheelin after my rear driveline broke off the pinion, and my pinion was almost vertical.

Leaf springs!

If you look at the little spot of light above the pinion, behind the left tire, you can see the spring leaves spreading. Try some leaf clamps first. I'll bet the steel strap bands are gone. I got six, three on each side (two in front, one behind, although yours seems to need them behind for acceleration), and no more clunk after braking. I tightened them enough to let the leaves slide, tight enough to keep them in place. A little LockTite under the nuts.
I got mine from NAPA, although I don't know where to suggest in Canada.

Leaf springs and axle wrap go together like--well, you get the picture.
Recommended rear pinion angle is negative 1.5 to-2 degrees because, with leaf springs, you will get axle wrap. Throw on big tires, and low gears and , walla, axle wrap big time. Use stock leafs in conjunction with low gears and big tires, and Kattie bar the door.
Traction bars are not a band aid--they become a necessity when torque to the rear axle is increased significantly. After-market springs are generally significantly stiffer than stock units, thus you won't notice the wrap as much, but it's still there, and, if you drive hard, it will eventually take its toll on springs and u-joints. Wheel hop is caused by axle wrap--that's why the go-fast guys use traction bars, or link the rears, like Grand Cherokees.

I'm not going to fab up a traction bar. Maybe if I get a newer cherokee and want to do it right.

I think in the mean time I'll just revamp the springs. Also noticed that the front clamps were completely loose with the pin missing. Eek.

Camera setup was a small point & click with a ziptie through some uni-frame holes. Held it damn steady!

The clamps on the springs, on an off-road vehicle, should not clamp the leaves together; they should allow leaf separation, while keeping the leaves parallel.

Back