• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

input on how high of a lift is to high??

Loushu

NAXJA Forum User
new to this forum. just picked up my first jeep 2 weeks ago. im goign to lift it but i dont wana go to high. so just wondering some input. my plan as of right now it to get a 4.5 lift. do a shackle relocation which seams like it may add a little bit to that. and i need shackles as well. but i want something a little more heavy duty than stock. so im figuring at minimum that puts 1.5 -2" on top of the 4.5... putting me in the range of 6-7" in the rear. now i know i will probably have to see how it is once it is done and full of gear weather or not it sits with to much rake.... maybe it wont look that bad though.... if it stays high though do i wana boost the front up to 6-7" ... i feel this would be getting into the top heavy range.... im figuring some one out there must have some input...

planning on running 33s
gear in back tools ,shafts, misc. parts full spare on swing out carier

let me know if you want more info....:new:

If I were doing another xj it would be 33x10.5 tires on 3 inches of lift with proper cutting and bumpstops

Agreee I'm actually doing exactly this 2 - 3" budget boost and some 33x9.50 :piratefla

What is your end goal? Full on trail rig, mostly daily driver, occasional back roads runner, expedition rig?

NOT a daily driver. its going to be a trail/expedition rig. it will be on the road going to trails though but most likely never be over 50mph.

if you youtube. old florida rd Ma. this is where it will be going most of the time. to get an idea of the trails it will be on. i have been out there in my bronco i used to have with maybe 3 inches of lift nothin fancy or any thing stock tires no lockers and didnt make it very far... LoL plus it was a dd so i didnt wana kill it at the time. most of what is on youtube though is just people messing around in there DDs im planing on lockers front and rear 4.88 gears full skids and to have some good fun and not worry about how im getting to work the next day.LOL

Wheel with somebody who has over 6 inches of lift with stock width axles. that will help you make the decision. If all your going to do is some mud/hill climbs and trailriding it may be ok. the first time you get off camber youll wish you were lower.

5 inches of lift and have ran 37s and 38s and dont want to go any higher. its pretty comfortable, and I cant go any lower without some serious hacking.

for 33s...do 2-3 inches of lift, a light fender trim and youll be much happier

im thinking between 4.5 and 6.5 would be good. any higher and i feel like i should start thinking about full width axles. im thinking with a 4.5 kit plus shackle re locators and a a 1-2" adj. shackle in the rear by the time my gear is in the back and a tire mounted on a swing out on a hd bumper im guessing the back wont be sitting much higher than the equivalent to going up 5'' with no added weight.. sorry im just more familiar with 1 ton trucks and bigger much bigger so my assumption is that any springs for a jeep are you to sag with the weight of tools, parts a spare, bumpers and skids....

If I were doing another xj it would be 33x10.5 tires on 3 inches of lift with proper cutting and bumpstops

I agree, this is 3" with 33x10.5's, Johnny Joint adjustable short arms, properly bump stopped, trimmed front fenders with raised stock flares and lots of droop.

Smooth daily driver and no problem through John Bull and others.

You're right on the money with leaves. Buy quality leaves. Deaver and of the like. Expo rig probably means tire carrier with a can of gas. Along with a well stocked and organized rear. Relocators are a must for the shackles. 4.5"-5" would be ideal for 33 and 35s.

To match the frot drop brackets will work for ride quality and flex. Long arms would be more ideal. Can you fab ? And more or less.. Can you handle opinions? You'll get a lot of them. Have an end goal. And stick to it

Yes I can fab. Yes I can take opinions and I do believe I have an end goal. Of 4.5 but I just think the rear may be a bit higher than that. I guess I'm wondering if anyone regrets lifting 4.5- 5" and regrets it and wishes the were lower... And I'm a ferm beleaver of driver experience over a machines mechanical limits...I have minimal experience in a jeep..

3.5" leafs. Shackles. Relocation brackets. Done. Coils to match. That's what I am running with 5.5" coils and 35's right now

3.5 inches of lift is perfect for 33's, 4.5-5 is perfect for 35's+ at least in the NE. Cherokee's are narrow and to keep them stable you need to keep a lower center of gravity. You can also achieve ground clearance by doing an sye, flat belly pan or crossmember, keep everything tucked up high n tight.

you are over thinking this.

I would not stress about adding shackles to a 4.5" pack just do it. . even with relocators, the net effect is less since you are loosing some lift to gain a better shackle angle.

the weight from a tire carrier, tools, parts, gear, spare tire on the carrier, etc, will drop that rear 1-2" when loaded down , easy. then you will be level loaded. unloaded, you will have some rake.

even better if you are just going to run 33s then do a 3" pack with a shackle and some 3.5"-4.5" coils up front

I've looked at a few XJ and CJ rigs with higher lifts, the steering, suspension and axles were replaced. Axles are sometimes replaced with D60's to D80's or similar size axles creating a wider wheelbase.

I would prefer to invest on skid plates for a closer to stock XJ. Some older framed 4x4 SUV's came with stock skid plates that covers much of the underbelly, are made from heavy duty aluminum plating. XJ's skids because of the uni-body normally only protect individual parts (pieces of equipment). There are write-up's for modified XJ skid plate systems that covers more area of the underbelly.

There are also aftermarket modified skid plates for the XJ.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...lates/rustys-skids-xj-engine-tranny-skid.html

Last edited:
Back