• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

For once, Indiana's primary mattered and it will be in reality the last primary to matter, Ted Cruz dropped out.

anyone a kohler small engine expert? bought a cheap cub cadet the other day to either replace my jd or to flip. compression is keeping the starter from turning over cyl 2. there is supposed to be a compression release that runs until the engine hits 750 rpm. if the valve lash is off, it won't release. seems thats whats happening, but after adjusting the lash it still won't turn over. with the plugs out it spins nice and free

I can never figure out how people can misspell a vehicles name when it's right there on the fender. :dunce:

Whatcha got in mind for it?

That name misspelling is actually the only reason that it was still available! My plans are to do a six cylinder swap and make it four-wheel-drive. I am sure I'll do the typical 5 inch lift with the spring over in the rear. It's kind of a father-son project for Case and I. My first thought was to do a 97 up front clip swap and do a truggy style rear, but after talking to Nate, I may leave it stock looking and just go ahead and go from there make it a driver for a bit.

anyone a kohler small engine expert? bought a cheap cub cadet the other day to either replace my jd or to flip. compression is keeping the starter from turning over cyl 2. there is supposed to be a compression release that runs until the engine hits 750 rpm. if the valve lash is off, it won't release. seems thats whats happening, but after adjusting the lash it still won't turn over. with the plugs out it spins nice and free

Contact our service guys here, they are usually pretty good about responding. More detail the better...
http://www.kohlerengines.com/contact/contact.htm

or you can find the manual for your specific engine on the same web page.

I only work with the Kohler Diesel Engines.

Morning gang, headed out to hook up the trailer and head south in a few hours.......hope to be an MJ owner today!

Morning cheese. Good luck with the mj. I've got a guy coming today to look at mine.

Alt, what model Kohler is it? My Ford yt16h runs a 16 horse horizontally opposed 2 cyl Kohler....it runs like a lost sheep in Attica during WF.

I definitely would get it running and keep it around. I used to be a Briggs guy myself until I got this Ford with a Kohler 16 in it.

Good luck cheesey. All my sh!t talk is bitter anger at getting ridgetting rid of the MJs I've had. Hope you can avoid that infliction. Ha

it doesn't look bad at all cheesy.

check the rust prone spots and if it's clean it's worth a grand.

Three hour round-trip and it was a rusted piece of crap. The bed and tailgate were actually good, spring hangers were good as well. Both rockers completely rusted out, both for plans completely rusted out, one Corner bad, dash completely dry rotted, top of roof was bent, both doors were sagging horribly, and the whole undercarriage was oil coated. I offered $650 and she said she would think about it and call me back. I told her was cash now or never. Came home with an empty trailer , but had a really good breakfast at some shithole diner! The search continues.....

Those Kohlers are hard on starters even when they are running. I'm doing a tune-up on one right now. Key to them is making sure the battery is 100% and all electrical connections are good. Anything less creates a drop big enough to not turn over.

Depending on age, it may just need a new starter.

Last edited:
I'm not even using any electrical in the tractor right now. I am jumping the starter directly with a 750 CCA battery in my xj. I need to get a better feeler gauge. The valve clearance at tdc is .004-.006 and it has to be almost dead on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

what kohler motor?

courage? If they overheat because no one ever cleaned the shrouds it will bone the exhaust valve guide.

So pull the valve cover, look to see if the valve guide is proud of the head. Pull spring and keep the valve up, smash the valve guide back into the head with a deepwell. Then stake it in place with a punch.

fixed.

Yes, I aim for .004, but usually end up at .005 once I tighten things down. And even though you're using the jeep battery doesn't mean that starter is tired or wore out. That starter is undersized and thats why they have the compression release or the starter could never turn that motor over.

Assuming this has the non-adjustable hydraulic lifters? What was the lash at when you first opened it up? Excessive?

Last edited:
1 class and 1 test day (7days total) left and im finally done with school.

picked up my cap and gown today

originally wasn't planning on walking the stage but a couple of older guys talked me into it saying they didn't want to be the only old dudes up there.
plus i guess i can be proud of it and show off to my wife and kid and folks

plus its free

Needing to buy a new gas push mower. No need for self-propelled or bag or mulch, just simple 21+" cut and side discharge. Can go upto $300 but do not want to order one online. I trust what you guys say.

1 class and 1 test day (7days total) left and im finally done with school.

picked up my cap and gown today

originally wasn't planning on walking the stage but a couple of older guys talked me into it saying they didn't want to be the only old dudes up there.
plus i guess i can be proud of it and show off to my wife and kid and folks

plus its free

You took a huge step and you earned it, get your big ass up on that stage and be proud of yourself, because we are. Congrats man!!

Needing to buy a new gas push mower. No need for self-propelled or bag or mulch, just simple 21+" cut and side discharge. Can go upto $300 but do not want to order one online. I trust what you guys say.

You are looking at 180 at most for a descent one, even higher end mowers are not made to last anymore like the old ones.

Back