• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm sick of the black on grey...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Is it hard to read for anyone?

I frequent pirate4x4.com (black background/white font) and expedition portal.com (white background/black font) and they are SO much easier to read....

And I'm 32 with great eyes. Can't imagine its easier for our older members to read black letters on a grey background.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I don't mind the color theme here at all, there's another forum I stopped going to because they changed it to red font. Reading text in strange color contrasts makes me eyes bug out. White text on black background kills my eyes too I can't read it.

If only they hadn't of changed the colors a few years back....

just highlight everything you read it turns to black background wight letters

problem solved :conceited

:D

Is it hard to read for anyone?

I frequent pirate4x4.com (black background/white font) and expedition portal.com (white background/black font) and they are SO much easier to read....

And I'm 32 with great eyes. Can't imagine its easier for our older members to read black letters on a grey background.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

No offense intended, but this complaint would carry a lot more weight if you were a paying member or forum supporter.

Just food for thought.

The grey is pretty dated looking. Very 90s. But the thing I can't stand is the ugly primer pink. YECH

I complained a couple years ago and I got flamed for not being a paying member. It costs nothing to enable the user pickable color options that are built in to vBulletin.

No offense intended, but this complaint would carry a lot more weight if you were a paying member or forum supporter.

Just food for thought.

Again, support the club/forum before you expect to be catered to.

Again, support the club/forum before you expect to be catered to.

Suggesting color improvements is not asking to be "catered to". It's the exact opposite. We try to give constructive criticism on improvements that would benefit NAXJA. Folks who run websites usually want their sites to look as good as possible, so taking suggestions from people who recognize that pink and grey doesn't look good is just common sense. It literally takes no effort to enable user selectable color schemes, and just a few minutes to set the colors up to a cleaner looking modern palette.

Once again, it's in the best interests of NAXJA to have a good looking forum.

If you have a mechanical issue with your Jeep, and someone tries to help you, you don't say "you'll have to pay me before I accept your advice". You got it backwards.

How exactly does a good suggestion on usability carry a lot more weight from a paying member? Good advice is good advice.

I see you're a firefighter. Let's say you're at a park and some club is barbecuing under an old dry tree. You tell them that they should move their grill to avoid a fire hazard. Does it make sense to tell you that your suggestion would carry more weight if you joined their club?

BTW, you should reconsider your attitude because
1) Not everyone can afford membership
2) The value of this forum, like every other forum, is the people. We create the content. We ask questions, we answer questions, and we help each other. If everyone left except paying members, the NAXJA forum would be dead.

Sigh, apparently you missed this portion of my counter-suggestion to both you and the OP:

Just food for thought.

If you were to march into any type of club, regardless of whether you have to pay to be a member or not, and suggest changes be made to suit you, then you would be told in no uncertain terms that if you want to make changes, that you need to be a club member. End of discussion. Naxja is a CLUB that happens to have a forum, not a forum that happens to have a club. No one should deny technical knowledge on this forum simply because that person is not a club member.

You seem to want nothing but an argument, so as far as I'm concerned, find someone else to argue with. I've said all I have to say on the matter. If you want to carry the conversation on with me personally, feel free to start a post in the club member's section.

Have a good day sir.

We aren't suggesting changes to the NAXJA club, we are suggesting changes to the forum, which we are members and users of. It's advice that benefits the forum and all members, paying and otherwise, not special accommodation for individuals.

I'm a professional cartographer and here is my professional design advice, free of charge to NAXJA: SanDiegoOverland is right about the black on grey being less legible to some users. Plain black on white is better for usability.
Here is some extra professional advice, also free of charge: The color scheme of a forum, like a map or any document, should be appropriate for its purpose and intended audience. Pink makes sense for a women's forum or a pig and pork products forum, but not a forum for a Jeep XJ club. The pink is clearly not intentional either, but seems to be the result of picking colors from the red logo. I'll be happy to provide hex codes for colors that match the logo and are more usable and pleasant to look at, or even change the vBulletin settings myself, also free of charge.

Last edited:

Just food for thought.

X2. Thanks for the suggestions, but this is probably something better discussed in the members section

And as a paying member, I'll agree the pink is ugly, but the black on grey doesn't bother me at all. But is it worth long drawn out arguing about? Not really

Last edited:
Trying to read on Pirate gives me headaches. I'm 36 with not-all-that-great vision, and this black on gray is far easier for me to read.

If everyone left except paying members, the forum would be dead.

If everyone but the nonpaying members left, there would be no forum. Something to think about.

To the whole red letter member carrying more weight thing;

Look at it like this: I'd be like a stranger walking in off the street into your living room and telling you that he doesn't like the paint color on the wall and you need to change it. Painting is an easy task.....why haven't you done it yet?

Now, lets say your wife comes home and says that she does not like the color of paint on the walls.

Isn't it more likely that you're going to weight your wife's opinion a bit heavier than the strangers opinion?

To the whole red letter member carrying more weight thing;

Look at it like this: I'd be like a stranger walking in off the street into your living room and telling you that he doesn't like the paint color on the wall and you need to change it. Painting is an easy task.....why haven't you done it yet?

Now, lets say your wife comes home and says that she does not like the color of paint on the walls.

Isn't it more likely that you're going to weight your wife's opinion a bit heavier than the strangers opinion?

If your walls are painted pink and grey, you should repaint them no matter what, for your own benefit, and the benefit of your wife (who will love you more), your kids, and the opinion of everybody who visits you (what is the impression given by having pink and grey walls??) :confused1

If your walls are black like Pirate4x4, no one goes to your house because they're afraid of you.

Last edited:
^^thats kinda funny....I agree with you about the pinkish color...forum looks old...but I think you are kinda missing the point about being a member..Not saying your points/ideas are not valid or well thought, but by being 100% participant, ie paying member, your view will carry a little more weight. I know in my club here in DFW, members are listened to more so than non members b/c they are members...they are committed to the club and therefore are given more consideration.

Good points though....and your pirate comment is funny....those guys over there are krazy

Back