• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm at 8 and wanna go bigger

"hes running an 8.25 (29spl) w/ 30 front, stock gears, open diffs"

Thats your first problem. Build your rig right, before you add more lift for no reason.

If its a true 5.5" RE he has DB's. I would say Maybe to this. He's still dumb. If you have 8" of lift with all these odds and ends why do you have to ask a forum what you need to go to 9.5" Shouldn't you know what you need?
Get some gears before your tranny explodes :scared:

Your Rig will do more where its at now. So If looking Cool is what your aiming for, throw some 5" blocks and a extreme extreme drop pitman on it :thumbup:

RyanM said:
If its a true 5.5" RE he has DB's. I would say Maybe to this. He's still dumb. If you have 8" of lift with all these odds and ends why do you have to ask a forum what you need to go to 9.5" Shouldn't you know what you need?
Get some gears before your tranny explodes :scared:

I had to read your post a couple of times to understand you...no need to call anyone dumb here...especially for coming to the forums for advice... Just because he has a concept of whats going on, dosent mean he cant get other peoples opinions.

He does have the drob brackets... ive run them in the past on my rig / no problems, I don't necessarily agree with the concept though. A LA setup is a definate upgrade when hes not so strapped on cash.

I pointed him toward the forum when he wouldnt listen to me... After a discussion a couple of minutes ago, I have found the he has changed his plans for his rig. Im pushing him toward an 8.8 w 4.10 l/s, and regearing the front. He does a moderate amount of offroading, and ive explained to him the benefits of having added power and improved fuel efficiency... being a DD and all.

chinup.gif

get a lifted pickup and never wheel it.:twak:

got pics of your rig??? just curious

what kind of wheeling are you doing, or WHY do you want to go bigger???

and you definitely need to go back to your jeep and upgrade the rest before you think about anymore lift mods.

stock gears with 35's will do some SERIOUS damage to the tranny. i know. i blew up mine on 33's because i pushed it without gears. but i knew that would happen.

i don't remember if you said you had a slip yoke eliminator, but you definitely need one of those.

blocks are a BAD BAD BAD idea. specially at that height. 1"-2" might be ok, but does do more damage than good. i can't even imagine how pissed your springs are at you right now for using such big blocks.

i would recommend taking it back down to the rubicon express 5.5" lift and finish building the rest of the jeep. get some gears to match your tires, make sure your steering is up to par. maybe do a disc brake conversion which will be much more usefull and "cool" than such crazy heights. save up for some long arms like your bro said, and learn how to pick a good line when wheeling.

my cherokee is sitting at 5" lift right now with 33's. then maybe after i put my 4.88 gears in it, i will go to 35's or 37's.

you should really listen to your bro. i'm sure he's got a little more thought into this since he's been there before you. if you are trying to impress or show up your big bro, then do it by pure driving and wheeling skills, NOT with height.

trust me, it won't be so "cool" when you show up with 4feet of lift and break 5minutes into the trail and you bro with is "little" jeep has to let you ride shotgun for the rest of the day.

and for the guys on here giving him nothing but crap. hey give the guy a brake. he's a kid and he's young dumb and full of cum just like we all once were. when i first got into offroading, i never saw the little guy that could, but the BIG TRUCKS with the BIG TIRES that JUST LOOKED COOL. so when i first got my 4x4, that's all i wanted. then after lots of internet reading, working on my own rigs and lots of trail riding, my priorities "naturally rearanged" themselves. i'm sure after he puts his first rock through his tranny pan or can't get over a little ledge cuz he doesn't have the right gears or locker, he'll start to understand if he doesn't listen to what people tell him. i know for a fact that not all of us started building our rigs the right way the first time.

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
got pics of your rig??? just curious

what kind of wheeling are you doing, or WHY do you want to go bigger???

and you definitely need to go back to your jeep and upgrade the rest before you think about anymore lift mods.

stock gears with 35's will do some SERIOUS damage to the tranny. i know. i blew up mine on 33's because i pushed it without gears. but i knew that would happen.

i don't remember if you said you had a slip yoke eliminator, but you definitely need one of those.

blocks are a BAD BAD BAD idea. specially at that height. 1"-2" might be ok, but does do more damage than good. i can't even imagine how pissed your springs are at you right now for using such big blocks.

i would recommend taking it back down to the rubicon express 5.5" lift and finish building the rest of the jeep. get some gears to match your tires, make sure your steering is up to par. maybe do a disc brake conversion which will be much more usefull and "cool" than such crazy heights. save up for some long arms like your bro said, and learn how to pick a good line when wheeling.

my cherokee is sitting at 5" lift right now with 33's. then maybe after i put my 4.88 gears in it, i will go to 35's or 37's.

you should really listen to your bro. i'm sure he's got a little more thought into this since he's been there before you. if you are trying to impress or show up your big bro, then do it by pure driving and wheeling skills, NOT with height.

trust me, it won't be so "cool" when you show up with 4feet of lift and break 5minutes into the trail and you bro with is "little" jeep has to let you ride shotgun for the rest of the day.

and for the guys on here giving him nothing but crap. hey give the guy a brake. he's a kid and he's young dumb and full of cum just like we all once were. when i first got into offroading, i never saw the little guy that could, but the BIG TRUCKS with the BIG TIRES that JUST LOOKED COOL. so when i first got my 4x4, that's all i wanted. then after lots of internet reading, working on my own rigs and lots of trail riding, my priorities "naturally rearanged" themselves. i'm sure after he puts his first rock through his tranny pan or can't get over a little ledge cuz he doesn't have the right gears or locker, he'll start to understand if he doesn't listen to what people tell him. i know for a fact that not all of us started building our rigs the right way the first time.

great advice. please take it for dignity's sake.

Bob might be able to help.

If a kid wants 10 inches of lift, why do most of you disuade him or call him dumb? Maybe he justs wants a tall Jeep? Hell, in Georgia there is no hills for a better COG to help on. :) Lots of rigs are big lifts and big tires. Lots are also high powered and lowered. Just because this year 5 inches and 35s are cool ( a few years ago 6 inches and 33s were cool).

I say lift that pig to the sky if you want to, be a stocker, and be soothd with a cold beer in cumming. :D

i remember when i went from 4.5 and 33s to 7.5 and 36s then i thought i just had to get rustys 9" coils to look cool.....

right about the time i smartened up they sagged back down to 7." and all is well again....now im running them with 40"s.

Thumpersdriver said:
Yeah... Yeah... Bigger is nice..... Until you swerve to miss that tiny sportscar you didnt see..... Or dont!

X2

Almost all of these replies are from people repeating what they've heard. How many have actually had an XJ at 8" lift with 35's? Anyway....That's beside the point.

Your lift isn't too bad. 7.5" is OK for 35's depending on how much you want to cut it up. What you really need to make it more fun and safe are gears. Just for perspective, My xj with 35's was up to 8.5" lift with short arms. It's my fourth XJ and I bought it that way. It now sits at 7" in front and 6" out back with long arms. I wish I had 5.13's at least. The 4.56's aren't low enough. 4.10's won't satisfy. I want a new front end for deeper gears or shorter tires.

passxj said:
Almost all of these replies are from people repeating what they've heard. How many have actually had an XJ at 8" lift with 35's? Anyway....That's beside the point.

Your lift isn't too bad. 7.5" is OK for 35's depending on how much you want to cut it up. What you really need to make it more fun and safe are gears. Just for perspective, My xj with 35's was up to 8.5" lift with short arms. It's my fourth XJ and I bought it that way. It now sits at 7" in front and 6" out back with long arms. I wish I had 5.13's at least. The 4.56's aren't low enough. 4.10's won't satisfy. I want a new front end for deeper gears or shorter tires.

I have an XJ with 8" of lift on 49s (mud) and 39s (rocks) with 7.13 gears. Laff. Gears have nothing to do with lift. 9" is too much lift with stock trackwidth and I can fit 49" boggers with 8" of lift and minor trimming. Re-read the thread.

my post was right before yours..did you read it.

passxj said:

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
my post was right before yours..did you read it.

Yes. That's why I said "almost all".

Back