• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If you had a machinist

I'm by far no real machinist, but have a cheap 7x14 lathe mill combo I've been using for the past couple years. I actually use it on a regular basis cause theres always something to turn to modify and or to make it easier. Things I have pictures of are mostly made items but for example today I turned my renix front bump cans down cause the flared edge was rubbing on the springs. Just simple stuff it sees most.

Joint to accept factory rubber bushing before I found out they sell the tubing.
downsize-55.jpg

TB
downsize-36.jpg

Steering Box spacers
1229111645a.jpg

Plugs for the Valve Cover
downsize-26.jpg

Hack n Tap (material already had holes (centered on the output bearing))
0302111942.jpg

Thermostat Sensor housing for a friend
0306111611.jpg

There is NO DOUBT, that having a machinist, or the machinery yourself, to do this kinda stuff is usefull... and i am jelous, but I think what the people are trying to say is: "if you dont know what you want, but mearly want to put a work load on a willing friend to excersize your resources... dont'. Wait till you have a project that you need help with, then ask.

x2 about shift nobs.... thats about it until you get to building.

i've worked as a machinist/toolmaker for 15 years, and the amount of machinists that can weld is very small. Out of the hundreds of machinists i've worked with across the country, maybe a handfull can actually weld decently. Most shops have dedicated welders, if a machinist needs something welded, he brings it to him. if a welder needs something milled, he goes and sees the machinist. it's how it works.
Out of an average shop of 30 employees, i bet an average of 2 can weld from my experiences.

I guess it's different in CA, but around here lots of machinists can fabricate and weld, among other things. It sort of comes with the territory, especially for guys working in smaller shops. A lot of them are also either from agricultural backgrounds or involved in agriculture.

I guess it's different in CA, but around here lots of machinists can fabricate and weld, among other things. It sort of comes with the territory, especially for guys working in smaller shops. A lot of them are also either from agricultural backgrounds or involved in agriculture.
i'm from Connecticut, i've only been here for 7 years or so. Both states are about the same as ar as the ratio of machinists who can or can't weld. If anything, it's slightly higher here. Both areas are big into aerospace, so that's what most shops do. and for the most part, welding isnt really required for that kind of work. if there is, everyone farms it out. I would put money on the illinois and michigan areas are very similar as well.

Back