• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idles great - wont take throttle

Did you say that you have a vacuum gauge? What does the needle on the gauge do when you hook it up?

You said you have a hall effect in the distributor right. Check the whole system out when i had a Plymouth with the hall effect in it i found it was shorting out in the distributor. Sounds like the same thing because you at an idle you are not useing the hall effect but when you give it the gas it comes into play and will short or die. If you dont have a shop manual get one makes it a lot easier i got mine from books4cars.com this will show you how to trouble shoot it just like a pro

ok well being as I dont have these items any more on my XJ, I cant say for sure if this is it.. But...

With this yr and if its a 241 TC, you have a vac disco front end. You also have those same vac lines that run to the front axle up to the trans case (TC). SO I would start to think that maybe the vac lines are getting a fluid in them when you shift to 4x4 and maybe even just with very high vac.

I would go through the entire engine and remove Every vac line except the MAP sensor and label every hose and plug each orphice that you pull them from. Even the power booster. Then drive it (or atempt to) and just be careful of the hard braking, and see if you still have the issues.

Also check the fluids for the TC and tranny.

Just a thought after reading all this.

PS this is Lookin from over on Pirate.

I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO. WOULDN'T TAKE THROTTLE, BACKFIRING, LEAN SMELL, ETC.
CHANGED EVERYTHING MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD. IAC, CPS, TPS AND THE LIST WENT ON.
FINALLY, I GAVE IN AND CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP EVEN THOUGH THE READINGS WERE GOOD ON THE GAUGE. WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT-- PROBLEM SOLVED. RUNS LIKE A WHOLE NEW BEAST. PRETTY EASY TO DO, TOOK ME ABOUT 25 MINS.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

BIGDAVE said:
I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO. WOULDN'T TAKE THROTTLE, BACKFIRING, LEAN SMELL, ETC.
CHANGED EVERYTHING MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD. IAC, CPS, TPS AND THE LIST WENT ON.
FINALLY, I GAVE IN AND CHANGED THE FUEL PUMP EVEN THOUGH THE READINGS WERE GOOD ON THE GAUGE. WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT-- PROBLEM SOLVED. RUNS LIKE A WHOLE NEW BEAST. PRETTY EASY TO DO, TOOK ME ABOUT 25 MINS.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
Dave, what year XJ do you have? I've had some problems with my XJ and the fuel pump is one of the last items on the list of parts that have yet to be replaced. Mine's a '92 and was wondering how easy/difficult the job is. I understand some model years are different, meaning some are easier to do than others. Thanks.

Tom R. said:
Dave, what year XJ do you have? I've had some problems with my XJ and the fuel pump is one of the last items on the list of parts that have yet to be replaced. Mine's a '92 and was wondering how easy/difficult the job is. I understand some model years are different, meaning some are easier to do than others. Thanks.

92 XJ LAREDO 4X4 -4.0
IT'S FAIRLY EASY. IT WAS MY FIRST TIME EVER CHANGING A FUEL PUMP.
BOUGHT A HAYNES MANUAL AT AUTOZONE AND JUST FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE TANK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I HAVE A 6 1/2" LIFT, SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO JACK IT UP EITHER.

Tom R. said:

92 XJ LAREDO 4X4 -4.0
BOUGHT A HAYNES MANUAL AT AUTOZONE AND JUST FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS. YOU DON'T HAVE TO REMOVE THE TANK OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. I HAVE A 6 1/2" LIFT, SO I DIDN'T HAVE TO JACK IT UP EITHER.

Tom R. said:

92 XJ LAREDO 4X4 -4.0

I think you may have hit the reply button a cpl times too many...LOL

I have made some progress, I unplugged the sensor on the intake manifold at he rear (temp sensor I think) and wouldn't you know, it starts to run probally 85% than it has, it'll rev a lot more, wasn;t inside so can;t give what the RPM's went upto no compared to the 1200RPM it was at before. However I back out of the garage and was gonna pull around the gravel u-turn drive I live on and only made it about 50ft and it started missing a good bit, like before. But in park it will rev almost perfect when moving the linkage on the throttle body. Can anyone maybe have a sudden brain fart and have some great idea to get me and hopfully TALLY back up and on the TRAILS SOON.

Thanks for all the great info Guys!!! :)

Barry

Tally-xj--keep us posted on your progress.

Fixed!!

Actually, I fixed it back in December. I been offline for a while.

It was the brand new Crank Position Sensor that I had just purchased and installed. It was either bad out of the box or I damaged it while installing it. Took one out of a 1988 Commanche and it ran perfect afterwards.

Thanks for all the help and replies!

Back