• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

idle air control valve mount?

SLOB

NAXJA Forum User
HELP!!!! I was trying to replace the idle air control valve on my '00 XJ and both the screws holding it on broke. is there a replacement mount for this available? (the part that screws to the throttle body) why does this happen on a sunday afternoon when nothing in town is open?

if not any idea how much it costs from the dealer? any aftermarket stock throttle bodies? would it be worth it to just get this bored out one from turbo city? any recommendation for parts suppliers that will overnight it?

http://www.turbocity.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_29&products_id=144

630_201.JPG

flht1997 said:
Drill out the broken bolt?
already tried that. I don't have a drill press here and of course the drill walked. started chewing up the casting. should be enough material left for a helicoil if I had access to a milling machine to straighten it out. (but I dont)

They put some sort of locktite on them when they installed them. i have busted my fair share of them and they can really suck to get out. if the bolts go through the flange and just come out the other side like i think they do on the 4.0, i would just keep drilling until you get through and just nut and bolt it back on. does not have to look pretty just needs to seal around the o-ring.

well I between a dremel and a couple drill bits I got them out and opened up for a 10-32 screw and nut.

it still hasn't fixed the mysterious behavior. anyone ever have the check engine light come on flashing while driving? its only on no load coasting. the only codes I pulled up before was a misfire code. a jeep mechanic suggested a timing chain since the vacume was erratic. I replaced it (it was streched out quite a bit over stock. I would guess almost a 1/32-1/16")

also replaced was a camshaft position sensor and housing (sensor about 5000 miles ago, housing about 2000 miles ago) crank position sensor, all 4 O2 sensors and the idle air control valve.

I have a scanguage II on order so I can read the code while driving. I havent been able to replicate it when I've had a mechanic riding along.

btw, its a 2000 xj w/178,000 miles.

You've replaced about everything, but have you checked the cat? Several people have commented on that with the rough idle. Are you getting bad mpg's? Had a similar issue going and you could still be looking at the cat, fuel injector (leaking), pump, spark plugs (sometimes it's best to replace with OEM plugs per mechanics and other posters.) It could be as bad as your cylinder head is cracked. Hope that helps.

well.....I recieved my scanguageII today. no codes showed up (my check engine light shut off on its own shortly after I replaced the idle air control valve...... the light started flashing as usual then a slight backfire and the check engine light went off)

its stalled a couple times since the light went off but the check engine light hasnt come on. it always started right back up when it stalled.....until tonight coming home leaving work. it stalled in the parking garage and wouldnt restart. it turned over fine....no codes from the scanguage......after trying to start it several times to no avail I turned the key off....to the accessory position then tried again and it started right up (coincidence??) I'm at a loss at least until I can get an engine code from it.

Back