• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IDI problems

billyjp2

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 IDI factory turbo. It started stalling when I lifted my foot off the throttle about a month ago, but it would start, idle, and drive fine otherwise. I figured it was the injector pump but I went ahead and changed the fuel filter first to eliminate the easy fix before dropping the cash on the pump. When I went to start the truck after doing the fuel filter it runs extremely rough and blows a ton of white smoke. Any ideas on what I my problem could be?

I have owned this truck for 8 months and don't have a great knowledge of diesels.

Assuming Ford? My GMC 6.5 IDI has an electric lift pump on the framerail, if it goes out it would have the same symptoms. Not sure if the Fords have one or not.

Not sure on the fords billy, but on the lb7 duramaxes like mine if they crack an injector that sounds pretty much like the symptoms (running rough, white smoke etc)...when they do crack they can leak fuel into the oil. If you check the dipstick and dab it on a paper towel, if there's diesel in it you'll see it on the towel, it'll get absorbed into it and sort of pull away/separate from the oil. Hopefully not the problem for you but maybe something to check quick.

White smoke = sucking air. I would start with replacing the fuel heater they start to leek at the black connector on top.

Dave

Also check over the fuel lines that go from the hard line to the lift pump they tend to crack and get air leaks. Also check your lidt pump pressure and vacuume to make sure it's good.

Dave

i have experiance on a 90 F350 idi. the big air leak areas are in the filter head (the sensor o-ring fails) and the fuel return "hats" fail. the return kit is about $30 on ebay. as for the filter head i eliminated the sensor, sealed the hole with waterweld putty. and changed out the fuel filter to a petcock in the bottom style eliminating the water sensor that tends to leak (same happens on the cummins)

Back