• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas on how to mount my snowboard

Kejtar said:
Btw, to all you snowboarders, explain two things to me:
1. if you fall why do you take so long to pick up and get off the middle of the slope? I've noticed skiers try to pick up and go, while snowboarders lie and look at the surroundings and I could almost hear them say "far out dude! Look at all that white stuff!"

If they're conscious, feel free to hit them out of their own stupidity. If they're unconscious show a little sympathy.

I don't understand this either, and I snowboard.

I simultaneously broke my collar-bone and got a 1st degree concussion (was wearing a helmet too) on a jump at Squaw Valley that I hadn't seen a single other person hit all day. I still got my butt off the landing before assesing the damage, which was not easy as I was seeing/hearing things from the concussion.

kid4lyf said:
Boarding is for three kinds of people: 1- Those who are too immature to put the time in to properly learn how to ski correctly, looking for easy fixes instead. 2- Those too old who's bodies can't handle the requirements of skiing. 3- Those stuck in 1995 who still think skiing is old school and boarding is cool.

Whoa whoa brad! What about those of us who tore up our knees because of skiing! I CANNOT ski anymore sadly. So Boarding it is! Well that or skiBiking or whatever the hell its called http://www.winterxbike.com/photo_gall2/photo20.htm

Matt

Scrappy said:
Whoa whoa brad! What about those of us who tore up our knees because of skiing! I CANNOT ski anymore sadly. So Boarding it is! Well that or skiBiking or whatever the hell its called http://www.winterxbike.com/photo_gall2/photo20.htm

Matt
OK, I should have added an injury disclaimer to reason #2.
To Beej, I have nothing against boarding. Snowboarders brought a different style and created a whole new genre in the sport with the half pipe and park tricks. What you don't seem to realize is that those tricks you mentioned (and many more) are now being done by the new breed of skiers. Guys like Candide Thovex, CR Johnson, JT Holmes, Evan Raps, Tanner Hall, the two Phillippes, and Matt Sterbenz (and many more like them) are now ruling the parks and pipes while big mountain riding is still owned by skiers like Seth Morrison, Shane McConkey, Brad Holmes, Jeremy Nobis, and the Godfather of all snowriding, Glenn Plake.
Snowboarding's big pull is ease of learning. You can become a good snowboarder in a week and an expert in a year or two. The learning curve for skiing is much flatter. Skiing takes years to develope top notch skills. However, once these skills are had, a skier can do anything a snowboarder can do and then some.
Like they say, "If skiing was easy, they'd call it snowboarding."

Last edited:
yea, so i'm adding another off topic post....sorry...

being very much of an amature to the snow sports (florida boy here) i realize i don't have much room to talk...but i have gone snowboarding before (new mexico a few christmases ago) and have realize all that it takes....it's not the easiest thing to pick up on at first....but, i haven't ever skiied before....
but here's my views....
snowboarding, you're tied to one surface....much less balance potential than skiis.....like having one leg instead of two......
snowboarding you have to work with balance and toe and heel angles and crap for braking, with skiis you have training wheels...sorry, i mean polls rather, to help stop, and go and keep you up....you already have the two leg advantage...and you still need polls?
this comparison is kinda like water skiing to wakeboarding...or surfing.....anybody can waterskii...but it takes some practice and skill to wakeboard...or surf....

k...i'm done.

btw...Beej, that last reply definately bumped my humored rate....*laughs*

KinesthesiaDrums said:
yea, so i'm adding another off topic post....sorry...

being very much of an amature to the snow sports (florida boy here) i realize i don't have much room to talk...but i have gone snowboarding before (new mexico a few christmases ago) and have realize all that it takes....it's not the easiest thing to pick up on at first....but, i haven't ever skiied before....
but here's my views....
snowboarding, you're tied to one surface....much less balance potential than skiis.....like having one leg instead of two......
snowboarding you have to work with balance and toe and heel angles and crap for braking, with skiis you have training wheels...sorry, i mean polls rather, to help stop, and go and keep you up....you already have the two leg advantage...and you still need polls?
this comparison is kinda like water skiing to wakeboarding...or surfing.....anybody can waterskii...but it takes some practice and skill to wakeboard...or surf....

k...i'm done.

btw...Beej, that last reply definately bumped my humored rate....*laughs*
Wrong on all counts. You've made the perfect analogy, it's just perfect for the wrong view. Granted, it's easier to stand up on skis. Anything after that is harder. Pushing down on you heels or toes to turn? Wow, that's tough. Compare it to all the details in carving a ski turn. Same with water skiing. Wake boarding is so much easier than water skiing it's funny. I've water skied competitively (slalom) and we use wakeboarding as a break when our legs are too tired to ski. It takes years to be a good slalom skier. My sons and I picked up wakeboarding in an afternoon.

KinesthesiaDrums said:
I didn't know Florida got snow :D
In regards to polls... well I'd like to poll the slopes before I ride them to find out if they're fresh powder or will my poles have trouble digging in (sorry... couldn't resist picking on you).
ANyways poles were given to skiers for one reason and one reason only: snowboarders :D (just kidding... maybe :D)

Urban Redneck said:
This thread is worthless, even with pix.

Agreed.

Whats next a NAXJA field trip to Park City, Utah for some sledding?

As someone who has done both, I much prefer snowboarding.

I learned to ski when I was about 6, and did that until I was about 13. Actually got pretty damn good at it. First tried Snowboarding back in '96, in Park City, Utah, and have been hooked since. I would call it tougher than skiing, at least the learning part.

Now I'm one of those "hot dogging" guys that you see going full speed Kamikaze style, going down the mountain. If you're in my way, you're likely a speed bump.

I agree that skiiers do own the mountain. Alot more manueverablity from skis, in the terrain parks also. Skis are also ALOT faster. I often can't keep up with some of them, even after pointing my board straight down the hill.

Fact is Skiing. > Snowboarding.

But, I have more fun snowboarding.

Thanks, and enjoy this unbiased opinion brought to you by Foldgers.

BajaXJ92 said:
I agree that skiiers do own the mountain. Alot more manueverablity from skis, in the terrain parks also. Skis are also ALOT faster. I often can't keep up with some of them, even after pointing my board straight down the hill.
A couple folks on here have talked about skiers owning the mountain, but up here in the Great White North I have noticed that snowboarders are starting to outnumber skiers. We ride a lot as a family taking a few trips a year to big mountain destinations, and its getting to be more and more riders as opposed to skiers. As far as skiers going faster, I don't know if its because I weigh 250+ lbs, but I pass everything when I'm pointed down the hill. My "expert" skier friends can only dream about coming even close to keeping up! My son and his friends think its hilarious that my fat bald ass can still shred up the parks. Last year after doing a misty off a huge jump in the terrain park, I heard some kids on the lift say "holy shit, did you see that old fat guy?!"

To keep this thread on topic, just a few minutes ago I saw a nice system for holding your board to the rack. This guy used an obviously homebuilt carrier similar to the Thule board racks, except it carried the boards on edge instead of lying flat. It locked shut and held the boards inside their bags, two per rack. He only had two on the rack, but he had three vertical racks, easily enough to carry six boards. I imagine he could have fit another rack if he wanted, maybe even two to carry ten boards. Not that he could carry ten people though! I stuck my card on his windshield, if he gives me a call about it, I'll pass on more information.
Brent.

Wow, I love it when multiple loves are catered to in one forum!

I have taught snowboarding for 8 seasons now. I also tele and ski too. However boarding is my preference. I am also a fully certified AASI and PSIA instructor for both disciplines.

For those hot dog skiers, the maneuvers they are pulling wouldn't be possible without boarders. If you're riding a shaped ski, you basically have two snowboards on your feet. That is snowboard technology that has made skiing "cool" again.

In regards to who owns the mountain? Almost pointless, enjoy it. But, over the last ten years snowboarding is the fastest growing segment in the snow industry. At the same time, skiing was on a decline until approximately the last three seasons, and has now started to approach previous levels, and again is showing some growth.

Look at the trends in the snow industry. The last bastions of bigotry, and that is closed-mindedness, towards snowboarding on a corporate level have almost been all but obliterated. Aspen in CO opened all of their slopes to boarders just three seasons ago, and since has hosted the Winter XGames. Boarders mean business. They have changed snow riding.

What has made skiing fresh again? Boarding. What opened up new and unexplored terrain on the mountain? Boarding.

As for ease of learning, I can take any out of shape, middle aged, middle classs, midwest housewife and get her on skis and down a green trail safely in a days lesson no problem. Snowboarding doesn't come that quickly. It takes at least a day for the majority of riders, regardless of age/background to really be at a safe level to hit a trail other than designated learning areas.

There are always exceptions to these rules. However, after averaging over 120 days a season for 8 years, these are some of the observations I call from. The facts are things that working as a professional in the industry I HAVE to know in order to make the impact that is needed.

For those who still feel inclined to pigeon hole boarders and/or skiers, I can honestly say that both factions have people who participate in those disciplines that need help.

It is everyone's responsibility to follow/maintaing the skiers and riders code of conduct. Unfortunately it doesn't always happen. If you can, take the time to educate. Some folks honestly don't understand/know they shouldn't stop in middle of slopes, in blindspots, etc.

Many times a boarder is a boarder because of cost. Cost of board,bindings and boots for entry level is much lower than skis/boots/bindings,polls.

And lets face it... a large majority from both factions, due to money, do not take lessons and do not learn properly. They do not learn the rules or etiquette of the slopes.

If you see these people, again, educate them is possible. It will hopefully make theirs, yours, and all people's on the slopes a more enjoyable and safe time.

If I ever see a person in need, regardless if I am working with another class, I help them. skier/boarder, it doesn't matter. I try and give them pointers, give them insight to the best way down the mountain for them, and ALWAYS advocate getting proper instruction before they try again.

I have never hesitated to pull a pass, as is my duty, from boarder or skier due to negligence. I have been hit by both (even when in uniform on multiple occasions), cursed out by both, and disappointed in both. However, it happens. You just have to be the bigger person. If you aren't it certainly doesn't help anything.

So, enjoy what you do, help those who need help regardless of their preference. And remember, there will always be jerks. If am not mistaken, I have even met a few XJ's on the trails that didn't do things in the way that we think is appropriate. : ) So hit the slopes, and enjoy!

Sorry for the rant, but it is something I am passionate about, and believe education/safety and the need for understanding/cooperation is needed between boarders and skiers. You enjoy what you do, great! Let others enjoy what they do too!

First chair! Let's go...

Urban Redneck said:
This thread is worthless, even with pix.
teh-huh...skipped over my original post did we? I was trying to get some opions on where to mount my board. Any way about mounting my board- I think I'm going to make a mount on the drivers side of the rack that follows the angle of the Top-Hat rack I got- Make a mount that I can stick two boards on top of each other so that their bottoms are together sandwich style... just worried bout the mount and how to attach- have to wait for that to come in unless there is a better mount I could use

dothedew24_7 said:
...opions...

Would that be OPTIONS or OPINIONS?

No, I didn't skip over the orginal post, do you have a pix of what you are trying to do? And as for not throwing it in the back...wouldn't that be the easiest and most safe? Or do you have to let everyone you drive by know you're a boarder? Seeing as how this got way off topic, I thought I'd add my .02. It's called sarcasm...

Last edited:
Urban Redneck said:
It's called sarcasim...
Actually, its called "sarcasm", not "sarcasim". Is that a British version of the word like aluminium for aluminum? Can't believe you flamed him for bad spelling in the same post! :D
None of my business, but if this thread sux, why keep posting into it? ;) Tee hee.

edit: Damit, sumwun beet mee two id!

Beej said:
Actually, its called "sarcasm", not "sarcasim". Is that a British version of the word like aluminium for aluminum? Can't believe you flamed him for bad spelling in the same post! :D
None of my business, but if this thread sux, why keep posting into it? ;) Tee hee.

edit: Damit, sumwun beet mee two id!

:doh:

Urban Redneck said:
Would that be OPTIONS or OPINIONS?

No, I didn't skip over the orginal post, do you have a pix of what you are trying to do? And as for not throwing it in the back...wouldn't that be the easiest and most safe? Or do you have to let everyone you drive by know you're a boarder? Seeing as how this got way off topic, I thought I'd add my .02. It's called sarcasm...
as far as throwing it in the back- no, not when I have a couple grand in audio in the back- hence the need for the mount on the rack. no I have not gotten as far as getting pix yet- The whole purpose of this thread was "Ideas on how to mount my snowboard" and I have gotten many ideas and I thank everyone for them...as far as sarcasm- it livins thing up a bit and gets some laughs

dothedew24_7 said:
how about mounted on the side of the rack?.. kinda like a hi-lift. and it'd still be easier to get to than way on top of the rack or in it

Yeah buy Hi-Lift mounts, drill holes in your tray, excuse me snowboard, get a couple of fender washers, problem solved.

Back