• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'd like to strangle whoever at goodyear

Took the belt out this morning, luckily it doesnt look mangled up.

Checked the part #"s

Belt I got: 4070975
Correct belt: 4060975

the good news is they took it back without arguement.

Don't remove the upper bolt! Loosen it, though...Loosen the 2 bolts on the back of the power steering pump as well, and then lastly the retaining bolt on the bottom of the steering pump that locks/holds the tensioner bolt.

Then keep loosening the tensioner bolt until your pump moves far enough inward for a new belt to fit.

I've completely removed the top bolt as well and it was difficult to realign with a new belt.....just loosen it and don't remove!

But it sounds like you got the wrong belt anyway.

You should edit your post about NOT BUYING GATOBRBACKS though, as apparently the correct size Gatorback will work!!!

I'd like to however I don't see a way to edit an old post.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Took the belt out this morning, luckily it doesnt look mangled up.

Checked the part #"s

Belt I got: 4070975
Correct belt: 4060975

There's your problem - the belt was one rib too wide. You needed 97.5" x 6 ribs, they gave you 97.5" x 7 ribs. That would cause the belt to run on the outer flange of the pully - which makes the pully effectively larger (requiring a longer belt.)

hmm, I never knew that part # told so much about the belt size. thanks for the info 5-90

new belt is on.

just for comparison's sake, how tight do you all get your belts?

IslanderOffRoad said:
hmm, I never knew that part # told so much about the belt size. thanks for the info 5-90
Most do. For example on an 89 4.0L xj:
Brand / Part number / Who

Dayco: 5061025 Advance Auto Parts
DriveRite: 1025K6 Advance Auto Parts
Gatorback: 4061025
Goodyear: 1025K6MK
Duralast: 1025K6 Autozone
Valuecraft: 1025K6 Autozone
Napas?: PBH4061025 Napa
Napas best?: NBH25061025 Napa

These are for a 6 rib 102.5" serpentine Belt.

For those where the length follow the rib number, a 99.9" belt on down would look like XXX60999. They take the zero out after the 6 on 100" and larger belts. On belts with length first, there is no zero to start, Just 999K6 . They make all the way down to 4 rib serpentines, that I have seen, like 355K4 or 5040355, which is 35.5" long.

On V belts, the width is usually a 13, 15 (most commonly used), or 17(widest).

15570 and 57015 would be 15 wide and 57.0" long. They do make odd lengths not in 0.5" increments as well, like 34813 or 13348, which is 13 wide, 34.8" long.

spaclear.gif

IslanderOffRoad said:
new belt is on.

just for comparison's sake, how tight do you all get your belts?

1/2" deflection. Just a note, Autozone sold me 2 belts that were wrong for the wife's LR. 1st on, 1/4" to narrow, 2nd one 4 inchjes too short :gonnablow Went to Kragen & got the right one. Not the first time Autozone has done stuff like that to me either. Glad you got the right one.

Rob

One thing to add to this post about Gatorback belts:

They are a great cure for slightly misaligned pulleys.

My PS pully was squaling a bit after I replaced the pump. Musta been just a hair off. Swapped in Gatorback belt and the noise is gone.

Back