• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iceland XJ Build

I like the gears in the Tru Trac. Not to hard on the wallet either. I am leaning towards Tom Woods "Gold" U-Joints for the front drive shaft and the new rear will come with them. They are grease-able and I have not seen any bad press.

Tom's ujoints are solid.
So where in Iceland? I have family all over that island. Of course, they are into Harley's and not jeeps (not much help) but they have the same issue getting parts. We usually have carry-on luggage with bike seats and whatnot stashed in them. Costs less for them to buy us clothes when we get there and we bring the parts, than for us to bring our clothes and have them have their parts shipped. So I have a nice collection of wool sweaters :)

Kef and yep we do the luggage stash trick as well but parts are a bit big....hahahahah. I don't think the RE 4.5 Leafs and 5.5 Coils I just ordered would fit in a carry on.....but it would have been nice!!!! Mostly it is fresh Beech Nut and Wild Turkey 101 can't get either here.

Update:

I ordered up the RE 5.5 Coils, 4.5 Leafs and U-bolts etc... TnT is sending the Y-link and 5.5-7'' TB now I am just waiting on the mail..... Now for the steering....I have been reading a bunch on the RK kit and it seems like people are liking it. My question is how much, if any, welding is required? And what about the Currie kit. I cannot find any info. I would call them but I work nights (Zulu time) and calling is a pita. I did find out that the shop downtown has a "Gear Man" so I will be going with the D30 Yukon Shafts, Tru Trac and 4.56's up front and 4.56's Detroit out back. Complete Offroad has free shipping in the 48 and the ole' parents can reley up here. Will get the pics up when stuff starts arriving....

Last edited:
85xjwoody said:
I would try to find a way to have some kind of power inverter available for use.
x2

Did a similar trip recently thru Oman. (Hotter and dryer to be sure!) Inverter was a great for light and power tools. And charging camera batteries. Be careful though - many chargers don't like the modified sine-wave inverters.

Good luck with your build and enjoy the trip!

Andre

Last edited:
The Trips sounds outstanding... before you get too deep in mods, got talk to somebody over in Reykjavik. I would go speek to Snori Glisson at Iceland Rovers for suggestions on what to do for building your Super Jeep.. I was over there in 2003 on a film project and worked with that group, outstanding help, and knowledge of the interior...

you can also send me a line if you need some help
i have some idea on how to bild a jeep here in iceland I have one on 38" tires here and so if you need a help just send me a line [email protected]

Selectable lockers front/rear
15.5 tires
lots of spares
One of those enormous flip down stingers, so we dont lose ya in a crevass - dont know how to spell it, but you get the idea!

Good inputs from everyone...Thanks!!! I fly on helicopters up here so I know the interior fairly well and have good maps but getting info from an Icelander is most likely the best bet. Also stop by the 4x4 shop when I am in town. Geitin I might hit you up for some ideas soon and do you have a shop that did gear/fab work for you? I know wide tires are money here but I want all around not just huge tires and no flex. Thanks all and I'll post the install updates......

Stinger=Good
crevass=Bad

heu no problem just ask and I´l try to help you the best I can. the place thad did my gear fab was bilbud benna but you could go also talk to fjallabilar and arctic trucks these are the name of the shps thad I could recomend to do the gear work on jeeps in reykjavik. what tire size are you going for

Well the Iceland XJ build has come to a halt. I am being sent to England in about 3 weeks and will not have the XJ put together yet. I got in my TnT long arms, JCR Sliders (installed) and RE Springs along with various other items. RE sent me the wrong leafs so that will be another delay. I will have to see what terrain there is in the UK and go from there. Thanks for all the inputs everyone and maybe I'll have highspeed in the UK and get the install pics up.

Bummer. Good wheeling in the UK, especially up north and Jeeps seem popular. Steering's on the right (wrong) side but IIRC getting a LHD car registered isn't too much hassle.

Andre

Spent 3 years at RAF Lakenheath. Not much for what we Americans concider wheeling but there was a Rover club in the area and they did go out on trail rides (picnics).

Bob

Re: Iceland (UK) XJ Build (Update!)

As Bob from TNT told me "builds always take longer than expected". I really never expect my XJ to go from Albaquerque, NM to Valdosta, GA to Keflavik, Iceland to Ely, UK but I finally got most of my parts in and I am about to start the install soon. Here is what I have so far...

TNT Long arms and HD Track bar
5.5" RE Coils with .75 spacers
3.5" RE Leafs
1.5" Shackels (thinking about getting some boomerangs)
1.5" or .5" Rocky Road blocks (I'll see what the 3.5's actually give me)
AA SYE
Woody Rear DS
Currie Steering System w/OME shock and drop pitman
Bilstein 5150's and JKS adapters

I still have to paint all the plain metal and I plan on doing a full tune-up and break job before the install. I am still undecieded on tires but I have narrowed it to Trauxs, Bighorns, or MT MTZ's all 33's. I want something good on the road for the winter here in Southern England. I am getting a set of used beadlocks to put some Pitbull Rockers or some other bias ply on for wheeling. I am also working on finding a place to install some gears (4.56's) and lockers (detroits). I am not up to that mech level yet.

I have a digital camera and highspeed now so I will get the picks started soon...(I hope...hahahaha)

Will,

Eliot Dunmore at EDM (Bicester, Oxfordshire) did my gears for me about five years ago, his number is 01869 278942.

-Vince-

Back