• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I,ve had it !

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Rant...Headers ,Over the last 400,000 miles my 96 XJ has been thru at least one header a year. The stock header lasted over 10 years before cracking.The headers on my wife,s 98(270,000) and my new 98(80,000) have no cracks.

The cheap Chinese headers will not last even a year.
Last Nov we replaced the 400,000 mile motor in the XJ,it got a new header and Brown Dog motor mounts ......well it needs a new header again.
Pulled the wallet an a Banks,,,,,,This made in USA product better be good,,,

I do have an extra OE pipe, Where does one find these flex pipes ? Summit,Jegs ? No one local does exhaust work,except R & R stock pipes.

Wayne,

When I replace the stock header on my '98, I went with a Dorman flex header (PN 674-196 at www.dormanproducts.com).

I've had it installed now for about 4 years, and still quiet as ever. Seems to be built pretty solid. I also swapped out the worn out OEM motor mounts at the same time with Brown Dog rubber motor mounts, to help keep engine torque flex to a minimum. I'm of the belief that the stock header cracks from rotating engine torque, over time. Though I don't have any scientific proof other wise.

attachment.php

Trying to get all available power out of this motor,,,,so I wanted a header.Have Banks in hand now...waiting to install.
Other XJ,s(2 98s) will get the Dorman style when needed.

Wayne,

When I replace the stock header on my '98, I went with a Dorman flex header (PN 674-196 at www.dormanproducts.com).

I've had it installed now for about 4 years, and still quiet as ever. Seems to be built pretty solid. I also swapped out the worn out OEM motor mounts at the same time with Brown Dog rubber motor mounts, to help keep engine torque flex to a minimum. I'm of the belief that the stock header cracks from rotating engine torque, over time. Though I don't have any scientific proof other wise.

attachment.php

Use a proper header, THEN add a flex pipe where the exhaust crosses under the bellhousing. I dont have a pic, but anywhere you have rougly 8"-10"ish of straight pipe, you can cutout a peice, then sleeve it back together with the flex pipe. As a bonus, after the flex pipe, you can run rigid exhaust mounts to get rid of rattles.

Those cheap headers look like they have terrible craftsmanship... what else do you expect for the price i guess....

Back