• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I searched and searched

Nothing wrong with asking questions, but don't forget to listen to the answers.

I'm reminded a bit of my first wife and our first baby who was little and skinny and nervous. My wife would ask the pediatrician, or someone else, what's wrong, and everyone would tell her there was nothing wrong. The kid was fine*. Then she'd get all pouty and I'd ask her what's the problem now, and she'd say I was hoping they'd tell me what's wrong.

*kid in question now 33. She's still little and skinny and nervous, and still just fine.

I know and now that I got all these answers and I talked to a jeep mechanic and he said that average temp for a Cherokee while pulling a grade is like 220 so I'm now good with my temps

I read somewhere on naxja someone did research and they found bad wheel bearings may cause a jeep to run a tad on the hot side and if ignored, can cause a jeep to throw a rod... I read it on naxja so it must be true..they said oil has no factor in damaging rods.. only reaching extreme heats like 220 from bad bearings does though..

bad WHEEL bearings causing a thrown rod? :huh:

Maybe bad con-rod bearings. Certainly not bad wheel bearings.

ahhh, I wasn't sure if you were serious (it wouldn't surprise me if someone gave that kind of info seriously in this thread...) or joking.

Here is what Chrysler recommended back in 1999 ... from a 1999 XJ Jeep manual ...

ETHYLENE-GLYCOL MIXTURES

The required ethylene-glycol (antifreeze) and water mixture depends upon the climate and vehicle operating conditions. The recommended mixture of 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water will provide protection against freezing to -37° C (-35° F). The antifreeze concentration must always be a minimum of 44 percent, year-round in all climates. If percentage is lower than 44 percent, engine parts may be eroded by cavitation, and cooling system components may be severely damaged by corrosion.

Maximum protection against freezing is provided with a 68 percent antifreeze concentration, which prevents freezing down to -67.7° C (-90° F). A higher percentage will freeze at a warmer temperature. Also, a higher percentage of antifreeze can cause the engine to overheat because the specific heat of antifreeze is lower than that of water.

100 Percent Ethylene-Glycol—Should Not Be Used in Chrysler Vehicles

Use of 100 percent ethylene-glycol will cause formation of additive deposits in the system, as the corrosion inhibitive additives in ethylene-glycol require the presence of water to dissolve. The deposits act as insulation, causing temperatures to rise to as high as 149° C (300° F). This temperature is hot enough to melt plastic and soften solder. The increased temperature can result in engine detonation. In addition, 100 percent ethylene-glycol freezes at 22° C (-8° F ).

Propylene-glycol Formulations—Should Not Be Used in Chrysler Vehicles

Propylene-glycol formulations do not meet Chrysler coolant specifications. It’s overall effective temperature range is smaller than that of ethylene-glycol. The freeze point of 50/50 propylene-glycol and water is -32° C (-26° F). 5° C higher than ethylene-glycol’s freeze point. The boiling point (protection against summer boil-over) of propylene-glycol is 125°C (257° F ) at 96.5 kPa (14 psi), compared to 128° C (263° F) for ethylene-glycol. Use of propylene-glycol can result in boil-over or freeze-up in Chrysler vehicles, which are designed for ethylene-glycol. Propylene glycol also has poorer heat transfer characteristics than ethylene glycol. This can increase cylinder head temperatures under certain conditions.

Propylene-glycol/Ethylene-glycol Mixtures—Should Not Be Used in Chrysler Vehicles

Propylene-glycol/ethylene-glycol Mixtures can cause the destabilization of various corrosion inhibitors, causing damage to the various cooling system components. Also, once ethylene-glycol and propylene-glycol based coolants are mixed in the vehicle, conventional methods of determining freeze point will not be accurate. Both the refractive index and specific gravity differ between ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

CAUTION: Richer antifreeze mixtures cannot be measured with normal field equipment and can cause problems associated with 100 percent ethylene-glycol.

COOLANT SELECTION-ADDITIVES

Coolant should be maintained at the specified level with a mixture of ethylene glycol-based antifreeze and low mineral content water. Only use an antifreeze containing ALUGARD 340-2 y.

CAUTION: Do not use coolant additives that are claimed to improve engine cooling.

Wow, I think this thread overheated and boiled over a long time ago.

Wow, I think this thread overheated and boiled over a long time ago.

Yep, oh btw, the b+ relay is the relay closest to the front of the vehicle. (Totally hijacked and remember you asking). Ask me how I know lol

To the OP, if all else fails look for an exhaust leak blowing on the side of the engine block! Cracked Exh manifold, leaking donut at the flange, or bad manifold gasket seal.

I managed to get my 87 Renix heat problem manageable after adding a ZJ clutch, a new high efficiency AC condenser (cross flow they started using in 1997), running the E fan all the time, a TRUE 3 row CSF brass radiator. and a 180 T stat, got me to where I could hold down to 205 to 220 at the T stat housing under worst conditions. It runs at no higher that 200 F now, since I replaced the Exh manifold to down pipe gasket, a 20 F improvement! The leak was small and was missed in prior inspections even at a muffler shop. I found the flange bolts (Donut) loose when I swapped the AW4 earlier this year, and the donut was bad, sirface was bad, poor seal....

Last edited:
I lost my oil pressure and my jeep shut down, funny thing is it never got hot.Changed out my K&N filter to get it home on 10# of oil pressure on the freeway and it didn't get hot. Now my wifes runs hot all the time, i would say about 200 to 210 with the AC on during the summer out here in the desert.I found hers is running lean.Only on high RPMs.Look for a vac leak

Back