• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need soft shocks!

RickyN29

NAXJA Forum User
So I have some insanely stiff springs on my rig, if I recall, 180in/lb up front and 400inch/lb in rear! (Haul 1000lbs of camping gear so beefed up the packs).

I am in need of new shocks and am looking for some that are really soft. The ride is really rough so I am hoping a softer valved shock could help a little.

I have a 6" lift currently.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

--Edit--

Info: 1990 Jeep XJ

Ricoh35mm0058.JPG

Last edited:
a cushy valved shock isnt going to do much of anything... and those coils are fairly soft, but those leafs are pretty stiff. a soft shock wont be able to keep up with the rate of the leafs. you can put hard shocks on soft springs to change the performance/ride of the rig, but not really the other way around.

i'd get a set of old man emu or bilsteins. any quality monotube shock. what are you running now?

Ah, I see what you mean. Essentially, the heavy spring rate will just overpower the shock regardless right?

I am running the Rusty's shocks. I know most aren't a fan, but they treated me well for 50,000 miles. Only thing prompting the change is the bushings went out....so I figure might as well change them. And figured I'd go softer.

Thank you for the reply

Ah, I see what you mean. Essentially, the heavy spring rate will just overpower the shock regardless right?

I am running the Rusty's shocks. I know most aren't a fan, but they treated me well for 50,000 miles. Only thing prompting the change is the bushings went out....so I figure might as well change them. And figured I'd go softer.

Thank you for the reply

you got it. and hot damn! those twintube shocks gotta be ready to go.. my rustys shocks barely lasted 30k!

with 6" of lift, grab a set of bilstein 5100 or 5150s with 12" of travel, 255/70 valve. they're a bit on the stiffer side, but once you go above 3-4" you really cant keep these trucks softly sprung, they'll be all over the place.

Whew, I looked those up....$80 each?? Prices have sure gone up these days! I was spoiled with my $30 Rusty's!

So 12" travel would be right for a 6"? You say those Bilsteins are on the stiffer side....this thing already rides like a dump truck!

:dunno: i liked the ride of my old XJ with the bilsteins, with my new build i'm going even stiffer. and that truck was WAY more comfy than any of the fullsizes my friends drive... those things ride like dump trucks.

matching the shocks/springs, even if theyre stiffer, will make the ride better. whats your tire pressure?

I can't stand my cushy shocks on the front of mine. I've got the soft valved 5150s and offroad it acts like it doesn't have shocks on it. I really need a stiffer valved shock!

Whew, I looked those up....$80 each?? Prices have sure gone up these days! I was spoiled with my $30 Rusty's!

So 12" travel would be right for a 6"? You say those Bilsteins are on the stiffer side....this thing already rides like a dump truck!

there is a reason one is $30 and one is $80

At 6" of lift, are you running stock length control arms? Or do you have drop brackets or long arms?

Personally I can't see how a 180lb spring up front would be too harsh.

nobody has asked yet so i figured i will. whats your shackle angle look like??? sounds like your leafs are pretty stiff to begin with but maybe there could be some improvement there??

Aftermarket adjustable control arms upper and lower, no drop or long arms though.

I think it is the super stiff rear end that is making the ride so harsh...

Agreed, the stiff leafs are a contributing factor. Out of curiosity, how do you know what the spring rate is of the leaf pack?

My point in asking about the control arms: At 6", the angle on them is pretty steep. That contributes to a harsh/jarring ride.

Do a search for short arms and harsh ride.

i just spent $320 on a pair of shocks and got a good deal

i have been running twin tube crap for about 5 years. time to see what happens if i put some thought into what i run for shocks lol

Maybe I just need the stiffer valved 5150s. I hate mine.

I have the 5150s, with the 255/70 valving, on the front (185-lbs springs) and its ride is on the softer side. They are good for the washboard in the Death Valley region but I find them to be way too soft for the miles of whoops in Johnson Valley.
A set of King adjustable bypass shocks would be perfect...in my dreams.

5150s would be a good choice for the OP's application.

Back