• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I lost my best friend...

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
On wednesday morning I was in Hot Springs working with a friend building a deck for his aunt.....I got a call from my girlfriend back in Russellville. She was frantic and saying she couldnt find our chocolate lab hershey. Apparently my roommate had friends over and Hershey had gotten out of the house the night before. She had driven around the neighborhood all morning and couldnt find her. I told her to call animal control and see if maybe they had picked her up.....

Well she calls me right back crying her eyes out and said they picked a choc. lab up that had been hit that morning and to come have a look to see if its her.......Sure enough, my worst nightmare is now a reality.....Hershey was hit on the highway by my house. She didnt make it.

Hershey was my best friend and soon to be a mommy. She slept on our bed every night and woke us up every morning with big loud yawns and licks in the face. This is no doubt the biggest loss I've ever experienced. She was a member of our family and like a child to me. She had an unexplainable personality. Almost like she could read my mind. I played with her right before i left for hot springs and took her for a ride in the truck, (one of her favorite things to do) We had lots of unforgetable memories and I will always miss her.

I miss you Hersh! I cant wait until we get to play again someday!!!

:tears: terrible loss, terrible way to go, no good bye, no time for you to prepare, almost like she was stolen. Yuck. Painful. sorry to hear this. I think dogs and cats definatley have to go to heaven or i am gonna kick some major ass when i get there. I WILL NOT BE HAPPY with out the cats and dog si have known.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have any kids and my pets are a part of my family and I treat them as they were my children. I would put my life on the line for them and they would do the same for me. Its funny how important roll they play in our lives. Its sad they don't live longer than the do. I'm on my fourth dog and its painful as hell to loose the how ever it may happen. I share your thoughts of a pet heaven where some day we may be reunited. Thoughts and prayers for Hershey.

With some pooches you just make a special connection. I had to put my Female Shepard down a couple of years ago. One of kind exceptional dog. I still miss her strongly and recall her face very vividly.
I really don't know what it is, but I often feel her presence. Like I said, some sort of special connection.

My dog grew up in Arkansas and the vets in CO. can't believe what good shape she is in. Shes 17 and counting the days. I'm sure It had to do with the good life in Arkansas and I'm sure Hershey had a great life too. Sorry for loss.

Man....sorry to hear about that. I had to put my malamute of 13 yrs to sleep about 3-4 years ago...definately tough.

I sure as hell hope YOUR ROOMMATE feels pretty damn bad about it too. Sounds like he needs to go to the other kids house when its time to play.

If you were not there...I would expect a roommate to take care of EVERYTHING like it was theirs.

Really sorry you have to deal with this Olive. Don't know what else to say man.

-river

Sorry to hear about that man. It's really hard when you lose a pet that you have had so many great memories with. Just remember the good times you had with Hershey and how they felt.

I had to put my Yellow Lab down last summer. Her name was Candy and she was 15 years old. I still wake up some mornings and expect her to be there waiting for the crust from my toast.

It'll get better bud.

Bummer dude.

My girl just turned 2, I actually helped deliver her, and the rest of the litter. I showed her a what a swimming pool was today, I would be devastated without her.

My condolences.

Damn man, sorry for your loss. I hate to get attached to animals, but it's hard. I've had my golden retriever for about two years now, and she's the best companion a guy could ask for. All she wants to do is lay on the couch, ride in the Jeep, and play in the river. I can't imagine life without her, so I know exactly what you're going through. Lost a few over the years myself. Hang in there.

So sorry for your loss. I know you will miss her and she was a special friend to you. Now go find your room-mate and kick his/her ass. That won't bring Hershey back but it may make you feel better.

Sorry for your loss, bud. I too ama dog lover , and lost one of my friends a few years back to cancer . I took him to Talladega with us to the Races , he always loved that , and had to put him down while there . :cry:

It sucks man , but get you another one. It won't "replace" your loss , but will fill a void .

Take care .
Steve

thanks for all the kind words guys. These last few days have been really hard for me just to go about the day without getting tear'd up at some point. I can see getting another one should help because its already really quiet around the house. I need another little pot licker to take my mind off of Hershey. Ill probably get another lab but im going to avoid a chocolate female this time. maybe a yellow male...

olivedrabcj7 said:
thanks for all the kind words guys. These last few days have been really hard for me just to go about the day without getting tear'd up at some point. I can see getting another one should help because its already really quiet around the house. I need another little pot licker to take my mind off of Hershey. Ill probably get another lab but im going to avoid a chocolate female this time. maybe a yellow male...

It will prolly help a lot. After my Lab passed I got my mother a yorkie (complete opposite I know) for mothers day. It has really helped and he is a funny little SOB. I am still looking for a black/chocolate lab pup. I need a buddy to ride the trails with. :p

we have 4 of them, 2 black males, 2 yellow females.... love them more than anything

Back