• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got my first laptop

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
So I got a Sony Vaio for Christmas, I love it, very nice. Anyways the directions that came with it suck big time, I dont know more about this thing that I did before I read it. So my question is are there any dont with the battery and plug in power? I can tell that if I have the battery out I can keep the power pluged in 27/7, but if the batter is in I cant leave the power in because it may overcharge the battery, I read online not to store a laptop in will a full charged batter. Just wondering if I am missing anything, I want this thing to last a long time.

Thanks
Chris

27/7?

I can't see why you'd get an overcharge if you leave the battery in and the unit plugged in - I suppose my T30 spends more time plugged in than not, and with at least one battery in place (the OEM battery and the spare "Ultrabay2000" battery - unless I'm using an auxiliary drive, like the CD-RW, Zip, LS-120, Floppy, DVD, ...)

Considering that "smart" chargers for batteries can be had that can stay plugged in effectively forever, and the laptop is supposed to be a little smarter than a battery charger, I don't see as it should be any issue to leave the thing plugged in with a battery in place.

I also make an effort to keep all my batteries charged up (my T30, my wife's T20, and two Ultrabay batteries,) since leaving the battery with a full charge is generallly healthier for a rechargeable than not - a rechargeable should either be left plugged into a "smart charger," or topped off once a week if it's not being used. Even the newer battery technologies (Ni-MH and Li-Ion) that aren't supposed to be susceptible to "memory" effects like Ni-Cd are generally healthier if left fully charged - although they should be "cycled" (fully discharged and recharged slowly" about once a quarter or so (I use a high-value power resistor to discharge batteries, and the OEM charger does a good job of charging them back up.)

Anyhow, I know it's a little long-winded, but I've got a bad habit of explaining my answers (as you've probably figured out, if you've been here any length of time.) Long or not - there's my answer, generated by experience (ThinkPad 760XD, ThinkPad 600, ThinkPad T20, ThinkPad X20, ThinkPad T30, Toshiba Portege 400 or so, a couple NEC units, and a Panasonic CF41 Mark II. That I recall...)

5-90

I've never taken the battery out of my laptop. 90% of the time, it's plugged in and the battery is in place. The only time I use it unplugged is maybe like last night when I'm working on my dirt bike or the Jeep out in the garage and I need to see something tech-related online. Then I just run inside and grab it and set it up on the workbench.

On the Vaio you will get the overcharge message once the battery is fully charged. It will go away shortly thereafter. That is the way it is designed. You should take the laptop off the AC every week or two and use the battery, ideally down to where it warns you about needing charged. While LION batterys do not have the memory problems of NICADs, it is still good to cycle them on a regular basis to get the longest possible life.

See now, i have learned more here than I did in the directions.. I guess they expect eveyone that buys one to know how to use it.

Thanks Guys
Chris

Oh here is somthing else what do you use to clean the screen, I have been told to use eyeglass cleaner. I was also told NOT to use things such as windex as it kills the LED crystals or somthing...

I typically get the LCD screen cleaners (two parts - "wet" wipe and "dry" wipe) from Office Depot or Staples - check around with electronics houses, especially those that sell laptops or LCD displays, for something that will work.

Windex hasn't killed the LCD panels that I've used it on, but it does kill the antiglare coating a bit (it's the ammonia, I think) and there's a risk of getting overspray into things. I'd not recommend its use, meself.

5-90

Back