• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i am blown away

XgeekstarX said:
they slam it into everything, leave it sunk in the ocean for 7 hours, set it on fire, hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on top of a 250 foot building that's getting destroyed... and it still runs and is driveable

Haven't watched it, but I'm willing to bet it's the 'World's Toughest Vehicle' segment from the BBC's Top Gear. Saw it at home last year and, well, they're about right :)

I really hope that the Discovery Channel renews the series here - and that they resist the temptation to make it 'more acceptable' (read: American presenters, less opinion) for the US market. The one thing that drive me up the bloody wall here is how gushing all of the US car magazines and programmes are about everything they drive.

that little truck was tough. i watched it on discovery a few months ago. the only bad thing is the diesel version is rare here in the US.

mylt1 said:
that little truck was tough. i watched it on discovery a few months ago. the only bad thing is the diesel version is rare here in the US.

Wish we could get more of the smaller diesels over here as well. I loved how they used the music from "For a Few Dollars More"

When I was 18, I got a Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel pickup. (engine made by Mitsubishi)

I wish I still had it... :rattle:

RTicUL8 said:
When I was 18, I got a Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel pickup. (engine made by Mitsubishi)

I wish I still had it... :rattle:

i used to have a little ram50 (d50) with the little 2.6L mitsubishi 4 banger. i loved that truck to death.

.....until it threw a rod in the middle of traffic

they should have left it with me for a weekend, seems i can break everything

As much as I hate to say it. All that would have done in an xj. Kinda makes you want to slap a hilux in!

Or not.......

Those 80s Toyota trucks are insane. BTW, if you live in California, I think its legally required that you own one at some point in your life. I had a 4x4 one for a short time after the horrible S10 2.8 I had. It had 302,000 miles when I got it from my boss. And it ran great. The 1985 22RE engine and the whole driveline worked like a new truck. The suspension was even in better shape than my XJ at 90K miles when I got it. Everything else on the truck was falling apart though, radiator, electrical system, shocks, interior. Body parts were falling off while underway. It wasn't worth keeping. Did it go to the junkyard? Oh no, someone my boss knew in Mexico wanted it for his painting business. 5 years have passed, its probably still driven daily.

I was actually looking for another Toy pickup when I spotted the XJ I have, a very, very clean 4x4, dark blue, 4.0 and the rare 5 speed. A buddy had an XJ and I liked it so I said screw Toyotas and picked up the XJ that afternoon.

Anyway, if you could get a turbo Diesel Hilux here in the states I would be driving one of those. Long live the Hilux pickup.

I've always liked the Hilux Surfs...A friend of mine owned one on Okinawa. Few other guys had em for wheeling in the Okinawan "jungle" and mud...

Back