• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hypothermia Run 2008 (March 29-30)

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who are brave enough to really test your Jeep, body, and spirit I invite you to attend this years annual "Hypothermia Run".

This is not an event for the light of heart or the cold blooded. It is reserved for those who have proven that they and their rigs are capable of performing in past snow runs and have enough camping experience and equipment to make this trip safely. I do not have any specific requirements however if you do not at least have the following things and you still want to attend please talk to me before signing up:
1. rig with 33's, and past snow run experience.
2. good tent, sleeping bag, ground cloth, and clothes to keep you warm in the snow for 2 strait days (and all night long ;) ).
3. reasonable camping experience.

This will most likely take place at Tinkham road again (like last year) but might be at Jack's Pass or other location depending on snow conditions.

The plan is to take a small group (preferably under 10, absolutely no more than 12) of Jeeps up to the top of the south side of Tinkham road. Find a good safe location for building Igloo's and camp (with any luck in the Igloo's this year) over night. Pack up camp in the morning and meet up with anyone who might want to do a day run on Sunday (most likely run the north side of Tinkham road on Sunday.

This is a blast for anyone who has not done this before!! It is also dangerous and important that everyone is prepared for the worst snow, cold, stucks, hard work, etc.

Equipment that you should plan on bringing that might be outside of your normal packing list.
1. Very prepared Jeep
2. Good camping equipment (including tent, sleeping bag, etc)
3. saw's and shovels for building trenches, igloos, camp
4. snow shoes and sleds if you have them.
5. plenty of extra warm cloths (particularly gloves, socks, boots, and hats).
6. plenty of extra food!!

Links to last years event:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=902401&highlight=Hypothermia

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=906190&highlight=Hypothermia

Michael

Re: Hypothermia Run 2008 (March 22-23)

You do realize that the 23rd is Easter, right? (I'm assuming so, just checking)

I'd LOVE to do this but I'll be on my way home from EJS in Moab ;)

J

Man, looks like you guys have some serious fun down there, ya certainly don't let the snow stop you!

Avanteone said:
You do realize that the 23rd is Easter, right? (I'm assuming so, just checking)

I'd LOVE to do this but I'll be on my way home from EJS in Moab ;)
J

John,
Thank you very much! I did not realize.

I will move this up 1 weekend. March 15-16.

Michael

IXNAYXJ said:

No, just have different religous beliefs than you :nono:

IXNAYXJ said:
How about moving it back one weekend?

-----Matt-----

Actually I could do that. Either weekend could work for me. I do have some travel that would make it more difficult to be prepared for, but I could make either work. My only concern would be the snow conditions later in the season (but we really won't know if that is a concern till much closer anyway).

Michael

I would be in for the weekend after too. The 15th and 16th is the weekend before finals.

2xtreme said:
No, just have different religous beliefs than you :nono:
My god can kick your god's ass. :D

The possible lack of snow occured to me too, but keep in mind the upper sections of Tinkham have snow up through mid June and sometimes July. I think there would still be plenty the latter weekend.

-----Matt-----

WaXJ_Skier said:
I would be in for the weekend after too. The 15th and 16th is the weekend before finals.

please ignore this post

The 22/23 is a great weekend. The weekend after I have a ski race I need to go to, first year I'll be racing against my dad.

Re: Hypothermia Run 2008 (March 15-16)

I appologize for the confusion.
I am going to leave it as March 15-16th. Thanks Ryan for updating it for me.

So who is in?
Michael

I could be down for the wheeling part. The camping on the ground in snow thing sounds a little 2 xtreme. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Why don't you fools just fold down the rear seat and sleep in the back of your XJs?

fubar XJ said:
I could be down for the wheeling part. The camping on the ground in snow thing sounds a little 2 xtreme. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Why don't you fools just fold down the rear seat and sleep in the back of your XJs?

Sleeping in a well built Igloo is actually very warm. You have plenty of protection from the snow with a ground cloth, pad, sleeping bag, etc.
Last year we had to tent it due to snow conditions. Part of the whole reason/experience of this trip is for people to try something they may not have done in the past.

I am sure you can handle it Doug, I can hold your hand the whole way if you need it :D

Michael

I'd love to go, but I'll be in Texas making money for new tires.

-Jeremy

OK,
I have started a poll to see which weekend works best for the group.

Sorry about the wishy-washy date.

Michael

Back