• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Humming from rear end

KidWithACrayon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I'm currently having some issues with all the noise from my rear end.
Specs-
Chysler 8.28
Yukon 4.56 Gears
All new bearings and seals
Powertrax locker
Drum Brakes
Hack-n-tap sye
RE Driveshaft

I installed my gears about 6 months ago with the backlash way to loose. The humming progressed to get worse and worse until I couldn't stand it. It would be extremly loud when turning to the right escpecially.

Went ahead and installed new bearings and seals and set the backlash properly. This fixed the hum on the turns to the right for about a month or so. Now it is just a slight hum around the turns, not nearly as loud as before.

The main problem is just normal driving. When I let off the gas, the hum will go away. When I accelerate the humming won't be very loud, but still noticable. When I am barely on the throttle or just mantaining a pace, it will be extremly loud. It doesn't matter if I am going 20 or 60.

Should I go ahead and replace my gears again (wearing didn't look to bad) or does it have something to do with the hack-n-tap sye?

Thanks

That sounds like the pinion bearing to me. I'm by far not a gear guru but I know that's what my last 8.25 was doing and the pinion bearing was shot!

hehe. your rear end hums? sorry, childish sense of humor. x2 on checking your pinion bearing. My friends went and actually got hot enough to catch the grease and oil on the outside of the housing on fire. (granted he may have overtorqued the yoke nut....)

Back