• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub units

It can, but that noise can come from other places too .. movement is the best indicator.

I can also second go Timken or go home. Its one of those places where brand matters.

Agreed, they sorta invented them. I'll use cheap cheap cheap ones already installed on a shaft from the junkyard (inner shaft, U-joint, outer shaft, and unit bearing all together cost me 30 bucks), but if I'm going to mess with that spindle nut, I'm using a new Timken unit.

I didn't even realize mine were bad, I pulled the whole shaft assembly out to replace with a junkyard one because I was too lazy to screw around with U-joints in 13 years of northeastern rust, glad I did because the shaft ears were pretty much rusted beyond repair, joints frozen in, and unit bearings had 1/16" of play in them (didn't notice this till I brought it all inside.) Then that grinding howling noise that had been developing recently and I hadn't bothered to track down sorta disappeared :looney:

After seeing how little grease is in other automotive front bearings I have started adding synthetic grease to these [pre-lubed ?] assembleys. I suppose a grease needle that was heated and bent to a 90 degree angle could be stuck between the bearings to add more lube. None of the ones Ive added grease to have failed yet though its only been a year or so on them.This also works great for noisey idler pulley bearings. Just lift the lip on the seal with the needle tip and inject it with grease.
Ron

Just go to JY and get 2 wheel drive units--they have had less load on them-I know they still roll - but do not have the axle constantly fighting them in turns.I found one from a Grand Cherokee '95 and had the factory mopar sticker on it-like it was changed a week before it went to the junkyard-and VERY clean.luck i guess

Just go to JY and get 2 wheel drive units--they have had less load on them-I know they still roll - but do not have the axle constantly fighting them in turns.I found one from a Grand Cherokee '95 and had the factory mopar sticker on it-like it was changed a week before it went to the junkyard-and VERY clean.luck i guess
First of all, easier said than done, almost no 2WD XJs in the JYs around here that I've seen.

Second, I'm 99% certain that the unit bearing / stub shaft assembly on 2WD front beams is different than the one on 4WD front axles. They looked quite different on my MJ anyways, I had to pop the decorative caps off the front rims when I put them on, and rockauto specifies which (4WD or RWD) the unit bearings are for.

Third... even if they are the same, the difference in weight is that of the differential and housing plus front shaft effectively, it's not that much of a difference, maybe the same as putting one more passenger in. I can pick up a fully loaded d30 alone, which means its total weight is somewhere between 200 and 300. The axle doesn't really fight the bearings, turning is turning, the wheels are going to turn regardless.

Back