• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP or LP

Front rear= Dana 30 Your 35 is your rear and your 30 is your front rear.... lol to be honest I don't know if that is the politically correct way to refer to it. However that is always what I've called them. So pretty much what I meant was for the price of a Dana 30 from a junk yard (or even better from someone selling one or parting out a XJ in classified section of your local chapter) you might as well just throw a HP Dana 30 (front rear LOL) in. I've always got better prices off fellow XJers then the junk yards lol Besides another good part about buying a new HP Dana 30 is you can do all the work you need to do while it's on stands or something, then once your done just install it. That beats having to rip it out, change your gears, weld your truss, paint it up nice, and get it back in there. You'll have way less down time that way

Front rear= Dana 30 Your 35 is your rear and your 30 is your front rear.... lol to be honest I don't know if that is the politically correct way to refer to it. However that is always what I've called them. So pretty much what I meant was for the price of a Dana 30 from a junk yard (or even better from someone selling one or parting out a XJ in classified section of your local chapter) you might as well just throw a HP Dana 30 (front rear LOL) in. I've always got better prices off fellow XJers then the junk yards lol Besides another good part about buying a new HP Dana 30 is you can do all the work you need to do while it's on stands or something, then once your done just install it. That beats having to rip it out, change your gears, weld your truss, paint it up nice, and get it back in there. You'll have way less down time that way
Where the heck did you come up with frotn rear to talk about your front axle? It boggles the mind! :D

Ah, gotcha. Luckily I have the 8.25 "rear" LOL. yeah, I am leaning more and more towards the Dana 30HP

My 95 Cherokee has the HP non-disconnect Dana 30. The best HP D30 and with your axles installed you'll have a really good setup. For $100 I'd grab it and re-gear it.

Not usually a "post fixer" but damn man. Come on.
Never heard of that. I've heard of people calling a rear axle a rear or rear end. Generally speaking when someone is referring to front axle, I hear front end, or front axle. I've never heard the term rear to refer to every axle...:dunno:

Somewhere I read that any front hp will be 30% stronger then it's lp counter part. And that a stock hp30 with 297x joints are just as strong as a lp44 with the same. Not sure where I found that though?

Dave
i wheel with plenty of hp 30s and lp 44s on similar size tires and seen by far more 30 gearset failures. i run a lp44 and it took me 4 years and close to a dozen broken alloy shafts and a detroit locker before i got my front end wedged enough to cause gearset carnage.

In general terms that's all correct...a HP D30 gearset as about as strong as a LP D44 gearset When going forward.
but weaker in reverse! lol

The R&P are stronger on the HP simply because they're reverse rotation, same physical size and strength.

The HP is nice becasue of this and getting the drive shaft up a little, but the housing is still as weak, and the outers are the same. If you don't lock it, you're prob never spit out the R&P, It's the outers that become the issue, and the housing. You can truss the housing to make it stronger, you can gusset the "C"s to beef them up some. If you add some moly shafts you'll be pretty good. BUT
If you lock it, you're just waiting for issues IF you're into rocks. Cary a spare drivers side shaft and U joints with you.

Then again, after all that work and money, it would be a better investment to find and build a 44 or a HP44. It mostly depends on your driving style, tire size, where you wheel and your willingness to pull winch line.

I have a buddy that wheeled 38" super swampers on his HP30 for 2 seasons with never any breakage. Your mialage may vary. If it were me and I had the time, I would find a HP44 or even a LP44 to build. Better place to sink your money.

My $0.02

Just thought I'd chime in here;
the HP 30 is indeed stronger (at the ring gear; due to the direction the teeth are cut) I have seen estimates ranging from 11% to 30% stronger. However personal experience does not indicate that the ring gear strength is a problem.
I have run a HP 87 YJ disconnect axle with 33s and 4.56 gears largely without problems, except backing uphill while turning (broke an axle joint).
I have also run a low pinion 81 CJ d30 for the last 20+ yeas (in several vehicles) with a 4.56 geared ARB and only broke a few axles, again at the U joint (fresh boggers on rocks) since switching to relatively slippery BFG 35 x12.50 mudders I haven't had any issues; but the care required to avoid breaking the axle joints takes a lot of the fun out of wheeling.
Since recently acquiring an XJ, I find that the last several years of the XJ D30 had larger/stronger axle joints.

One inexpensive way to go for moderate (not extreme) wheeling then would seem to be a high pinion D30 axle with large joint shafts, with the locker of your choice geared to accommodate the desired tire size (35s or less). Note; proper gear setup makes a big difference in longevity.

X2 on carrying a spare shaft and joints...

Enjoy!

Back