• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Ford D44 front and XJ44 rear, 4.56 OX

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting these up to see what the interest in them is. I've been hanging onto them because I put a ton of work into them, but being realistic, I'll probably never use these again.

I drove the Jeep into my garage, stripped it apart, and these have been in my basement out of the elements since. These axles are 95% bolt in, small issues outlined below.

Rear XJ44
4.56 gears, OX locker, alloy axles shafts with dual 5x5.5 and 5x4.5 pattern, Explorer disk brakes with ZJ rotors drilled to 5x5.5 (used teraflex spacer welded to new backing plates to make installation easy). It has a Ruff stuff truss that probably isn't doing much, and raised double shear shock mounts.

The OX works, you just need to adjust the cable.

Notes: One side has the wheel studs pressed into the 5x4.5 holes after I blew my tire down in PA, and had to borrow Ken's to get home. Just press them out then press them in again.

The gears do make some noise during deceleration. I drove and wheeled this Jeep like this between 2008-2011. I pulled the carrier and pinion out and replaced all of the bearings internally in 2010 when I did the disk brakes. I bought the axle used, so I didn't set up the gears. The wheel bearings were brand new at that time too.

Narrowed Front HP44 from a '77 Ford F150.
Originally weld on wedges with 1/2" tubes
Narrowed to XJ width following Cruisin Illusion's write up on here
Inner C's cut and rotated
Full TNT truss TIG welded on
Chevy/FSJ flat top knuckles milled, drilled and tapped by John Nutter Enterprises
Parts Mike high steer arms
Chevy TRE's, 1.5" OD x .25" wall DOM steering, inverted T
Custom adjustable straight trackbar using same DOM, with RE superflex joints at both ends. (will come with RE frame bracket)
Custom length Reid Racing chromoly inner shafts, Moser chromoly outer
Yukon 4.56, OX locker
Warn premium locking hubs** (see notes below)
Wheel bearings are pretty new, and rotors/pads were replaced within the last 1000 miles, just have slight surface rust on them.

Notes:Will need to install new OX cable for this, which I have. Also have extra OX levers
Comes with two fully loaded spare ford 5x5.5 hubs/rotors and chevy/fsj spindles
Comes with two drive slugs and covers from the wagoneer I pulled parts off of. Essentially, everything you need to install to continue wheeling if you blow up a Warn hub. axle currently has one installed...due to blown up warn hub. I have two warn premium hubs that are busted that i could see about returning them under their lifetime warranty so you can have 2 brand new hubs, 1 used warn hub, and 2 slugs.
Will also include reamed wagoneer pitman arm, and reamed drop XJ pitman arm (the one that is attached to the steering currently)

I'm sure there is a ton I'm forgetting, any specific questions feel free to ask. These axles are located on Cape Cod, MA

Looking to see interest in these axles, so if you have some serious offers, leave a message or PM me and we'll talk. The front has at least $3k of parts (Part prices only, not trying to claim labor, I have the receipts) into it, and the rear is nicely set up too.

I would like to sell them together, I won't sell these for nothing, and I don't want any Jeep parts in trade for them since I don't have a Jeep anymore.

From when I built it

DSC_2483.jpg

These are what they look like right now sitting in my basement.

20140622_170202_zpsa7aa54b5.jpg

Last edited:
PMed

I messed up one of the pics above, that is what I get for trying to manually type in the picture address because work blocks the pic site.

Some more pictures.

DSC_2484.jpg

Highsteer knuckles after sandblasting and machining.
DSC_2436.jpg

Trackbar
DSC_2487.jpg

Steering angles match tackbar, this is 5.5"ish
CopyofDSC_0059_1.jpg

Back