• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP Dana 30 is IN!

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I still have a little work to do before a road test, but the majority of the job is DONE. While I had it out, I also replaced the ball joints, UCA bushings (axle-end), gave it a coat of POR-15, and installed a set of Skid-Row LCA skids. Tomorrow I'll reassemble the brakes, add gear lube, and see how far the alignment's off.;)
That was a long day...:confused1

Bill,was this for your rig?If so what year was the donor and what did you swap out?Im thinking about this for mine,Ive got to regear the front anway.

I kept my Torsen in the front, and also kept my shafts and brakes. I ended up trading the LP housing and gears for a nearly-new Auburn that i'm now running in the rear. I have to deliver it in a few weeks. It's a great excuse for another trip to Colorado!:cool: ;)
Chuck- Thanks again!

I guess the question I was thinking about was the brakes/hubs.Ive read so many post about different offsets.I would like to just swap everything at the knuckle(ball joints).

Getting themout ism't theproblem. I did this same swap of a '92 HP into my 2000. Kept my 297x joints, brakes,knuckles,etc.... The pass side uca can be heated easily and will melt itself right out. I had to beat the crap out of the bushing over the pumpkin, heating that won't work. When I replaced that one,I hammerred it in best I could but its not in there like it should be. Still trying to figure that one out.

P

Stupid question time, but what is a HP Dana 30? Is this a whole new differential than the one that came in the Jeep or is it set of super tough parts that when put together make up some kind of super strong Dana 30?

Thanks,
Robert

RCP Phx said:
I guess the question I was thinking about was the brakes/hubs.Ive read so many post about different offsets.I would like to just swap everything at the knuckle(ball joints).
The knuckles are the same. I changed the ball joints, and swapped everything from there out.

xxxj-va said:
Getting themout ism't theproblem. I did this same swap of a '92 HP into my 2000. Kept my 297x joints, brakes,knuckles,etc.... The pass side uca can be heated easily and will melt itself right out. I had to beat the crap out of the bushing over the pumpkin, heating that won't work. When I replaced that one,I hammerred it in best I could but its not in there like it should be. Still trying to figure that one out.

P
That's about right. I cut the rubber with a sawzall and pounded them out w/a chiesel. I installed them with some creative use of a large c-clamp. The passanger side was easy. The driver's side got to a point where it wouldn't seat all the way, so I finished it with a wood block, a CJ axle nut socket, and a BFH!

XJWheelie said:
Stupid question time, but what is a HP Dana 30? Is this a whole new differential than the one that came in the Jeep or is it set of super tough parts that when put together make up some kind of super strong Dana 30?

Thanks,
Robert
That's not a stupid question.
All XJs before 2000 have the HP (high pinion) Dana 30. For some reason (probably cost) DC went to a TJ-style LP axle for the last two years of the XJ. The HP is quite a bit stronger due to the ring and pinion being reverse-cut. The HP is also easier on driveline angles on a lifted vehicle because the driveshaft comes into the pumpkin at the top.
So basiclly, I spent the day yesterday installing something in my XJ that you already have w/your '94!;)

It's alive!

Bolted the brakes back on, filled it up w/Amsoil, and it's running again!:party:
That was a job, but well worth the effort. I can tell I have less vibes with the new driveline angle.
Next...CA drop brackets and an AGR pump and cooler for the P.S.
I'm not in a hurry; just sometime before Moab!:repair:

Back