• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D30 Pattern Check

I'd set the backlash smaller - between .004 and 0.006 as was mentioned above is what you will find in the search in here.

Also, when discussing with a local gear setup guy that is highly recommended and has been doing 4x4 setups for decades that is what he suggested (the specific numbers) without prompting.

The Dana 30 housing will open up a touch under load.

I'd be more concerned with the pinion depth than the backlash on this one. It's too deep. Might be OK to run, but if it was mine it'd be adjusted again.

I try and shoot for .006 also, but the setup I did last month is at .008 and it runs quiet without any problems.

IntrepidXJ said:
i ended up removing .002 from under the inner pinion bearing race and got the backlash set at .005

I don't know what the factory spec is for backlash but .005" sounds too tight to me. As your diff gets warm during driving the ring and pinio expand and that gap closes up. What is the factory spec range?

jeeperjohn said:
I don't know what the factory spec is for backlash but .005" sounds too tight to me. As your diff gets warm during driving the ring and pinio expand and that gap closes up. What is the factory spec range?

did you read the rest of the thread? i had it at .008 (spec is .006-.010), and a few suggested i make it a little tighter since it will open up as the gears break in

Back