• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

howling in 4wd

RaccoonJoe

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 XJ has picked up a howling noise when in 4hi. I need to adjust the linkage on the t-case, as it won't stay fully engaged into 4lo. The noise gets really loud about 10-15 mph. However, it doesn't seem to make any noise while on the highway in 2wd.

Is this a sign of a t-case needing rebuilt, or just needing a new chain? I had some problems finding just the chain online...seemed to only be able to find seal/bearing rebuild kits.

91 XJ. AW4, 231 t-case

check the double cardin joint in the front driveshaft, and all your u joints for that matter, but the front is gunna be most likely

check the double cardin joint in the front driveshaft, and all your u joints for that matter, but the front is gunna be most likely

Checked the u-joints and play in the bearings (both t-case and axle side). There doesn't seem to be any up-down or left-right slop anywhere. However, I did notice that the front driveshaft has about 45* of rotation before catching, and the rear has only about 10*. Is that normal, or a sign of the chain/whatnot going bad?

That could be a sign of a few things... while you're spinning the driveshaft, watch the U-joints on the front axleshafts. There are a LOT of places for play, including the U-joints, spider gears, ring/pinion backlash, pinion bearing going out (try moving the pinion back and forth, if it moves, it's bad), plus the driveshaft and transfer case.

All thats been said plus a worn out chain!

Back