• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How we can do better next time:

As I said, I've been a member since 2008. I know what's on the web site.

I've made a suggestion in the spirit in which this thread was started. The planners for the 2018 event can take it or leave it.

Nametags for sure.
Maybe write first name/ username on ds rear window at tech?

For the show and shine, we should have filled out and printed out our info sheets at home beforehand. I cant write very legibly to begin with , add cold hands and wet paper, the results werent pretty.

Perhaps a map of town marked with trailheads to go along with the.list

Name tags/Jeep tags would be a plus. We do them with my Skinny Winnie RV club and they really help. Does anyone know the head count for this event? I was wondering if we could find a Campground that had either a clubhouse or covered pavilion that we could use for all our events. We did not stay at Slickrock Park this time and was I glad. That place is just worn out. Any chance of a venue change?

One good thing about Slickrock is that visitors can enter freely. Other campgrounds that I checked out don't allow visitors.

The wife says she wants us to buy slickrock when I retire and run it...

Also has lots of plans to spend money to upgrade it...

We met the old owners as they own the Blue Pig now...they said in the 8 years since they have owned it, they are pretty sure the new owner hasn't made one upgrade...

mac 'not sure if its a dream or a nightmare' gyvr

I loved Slickrock campground. Laid back, I saw alot of folks wrenching with no complaints from the folks running it. Jeepers drank lots of beer and got a little loud here and there and no complaints that I know of from the folks running the place. It was way cheaper than a hotel.

I loved Slickrock campground. Laid back, I saw alot of folks wrenching with no complaints from the folks running it. Jeepers drank lots of beer and got a little loud here and there and no complaints that I know of from the folks running the place. It was way cheaper than a hotel.

Until checkout when the lady who checked us out screwed Josh and Jason because of something they didn't do.

These ideas have mostly been covered, so I'll just add votes for:

• Name tags with NAXJA screen names at social events and possibly on your rig
  • Trail sign-up sheets posted and accessible at all times prior to the runs (or at least more frequently)
  • Perhaps a suggested (required?) minimum equipment level for each trail in addition to the numeric ratings. For the Moab noob, it can be difficult to assess in advance whether or not your rig is properly equipped for a given trail, even after consulting Wells. As was previously mentioned, there are some obstacles on some trails that a properly driven stock XJ could climb, or that are optional (think Hell's Gate). But there are other trails with a similar rating (think Cliffhanger) which that same driver/rig might prefer to avoid as there are few (if any) bypasses.

That last one could be tough to implement and possibly a bit controversial. But there a lot of drivers here with tons of experience on those trails. The first-timers could really benefit from some of that acquired knowledge, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

I like the Jeep name tag Idea.

Maybe a Vinyl "My name is" type One you could peel off and use at later events would be cool to get at reg.
Just sharpie on your Naxja and real world name and Bam no more forgetting who you are! lol

I also think the Idea Of calling numbered groups for stuff like the show and shine BBQ is a good idea to keep stress off of the guys trying to run these things.

At the time I felt acknowledging the line that the people naturally formed from a lifetime of waiting in them would have worked.
However I wasn't the guy dealing with the crowd of hungry Jeepers and I do not mean to criticize.

I take full responsibility for the Show and Shine being a failure.

I won't make excuses, I simply thought I could handle it by myself with just a few people helping judge and cook and I simply miscalculated.

Hindsight being 20/20 things I would change in the future if I was put in charge again (hopefully I won't) Is either being there much earlier to get coals warming or use a gas grill. I had no idea it would be well into the second hour before that grill was warm enough to cook.

The biggest problem was just not having enough help. I'm not blaming anyone but myself. Plenty of people would have helped had I just asked. I just underestimated the size of the crowd and I think the weather had a little to do with it. People were cold, wet and irritated before we even started trying to serve food. Had the weather been nice I think people would have been more inclined to walk around and look at the jeeps and they wouldn't have all been huddled up in a small area, hungry and grumpy.

That last one could be tough to implement and possibly a bit controversial. But there a lot of drivers here with tons of experience on those trails. The first-timers could really benefit from some of that acquired knowledge, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it.

An Adopt-a-noob program? :D

Until checkout when the lady who checked us out screwed Josh and Jason because of something they didn't do.

Ehh. wow . that sucks.

I didn't even check out. I just left.

She charged us for another day and wouldn't give Josh a refund on a day. Don't beat yourself up about the Show and Shine, you were definitely trying your hardest to make it work. The amazing experience I had in Moab was not ruined by anything, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Don't beat yourself up about the Show and Shine, you were definitely trying your hardest to make it work. The amazing experience I had in Moab was not ruined by anything, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

X2!

The show and shine seemed to be very well intentioned, and planned adequately
Had it not started dumping icy rain, i have no doubt it would have ran quite smoothly

George Bush clearly doesnt like jeep people :p

Back