• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to utilize your old Jeep Springs

And to think I got 5 cents a pound for mine ...

A Xerox tech I know, used my old coil springs for a homemade custom rocking horse for his grandchildren. I'll see if I can get picks.

Yeah, people with skills can make stuff out of other stuff.... The leaf spring is basically a peice of metal. Yeah, people can make knives out of peices of metal. People in Africa have been making leaf spring machetes for decades.

I dont get it. Much like lifehacks, where yuppie office workers give themselves high-fives for years for making basic shit out of other shit. WAY TO GO BUDDY! GREAT JOB!

Yeah, people with skills can make stuff out of other stuff.... The leaf spring is basically a peice of metal. Yeah, people can make knives out of peices of metal. People in Africa have been making leaf spring machetes for decades.

I dont get it. Much like lifehacks, where yuppie office workers give themselves high-fives for years for making basic shit out of other shit. WAY TO GO BUDDY! GREAT JOB!

You mad bro?

Seriously wondering if you are mad. Usually when someone comes off as a major douche bag prick in every....single...post they make I usually figure they are mad at something.

The leaf spring is basically a peice of metal...

People in Africa have been making leaf spring machetes for decades.
Got video? Post it up! I'd like to see how people in Africa make knives out of "basically a piece of metal."

Last edited:
He is probably a very young boy, never served his country, and does not know wrong from right. Otherwise, he would have had his attitude corrected by now.

Seriously wondering if you are mad. Usually when someone comes off as a major douche bag prick in every....single...post they make I usually figure they are mad at something.

...Much like lifehacks, where yuppie office workers give themselves high-fives for years for making basic shit out of other shit. WAY TO GO BUDDY! GREAT JOB!

Except he didn't make "basic shit out of other shit"... He made a BADDASS knife out of a piece of discarded metal.

The man not only has skills (he knows how to use basic tools to turn "basic shit into other shit"), he is also an artist ( he makes "basic shit out of other shit" with style and the end product is ANYTHING but "basic"... It's a functional work of art.

Care to post a video of something beautiful you have created out of basically nothing?

Seriously, if you don't like the content, click the back button and move on. There are some of us who can appreciate this man's skills and might actually have enjoyed this video. I did.

Last edited:
Also, your post shows how completely ignorant you are about the process.

The piece of metal he used was already tempered as a spring. Which means he had to draw the temper back to make it workable. Then after forging the knife he had to re-temper the metal to a different range to make it usable as a knife. Usually there are two different tempers on a knife that large. The back half of the knife (known as the spine) is usually softer to make the knife somewhat flexible and absorb shock. The edge will be much harder to hold that edge.

This isn't "making basic shit", there's actually science involved.

Also, your post shows how completely ignorant you are about the process.

The piece of metal he used was already tempered as a spring. Which means he had to draw the temper back to make it workable. Then after forging the knife he had to re-temper the metal to a different range to make it usable as a knife. Usually there are two different tempers on a knife that large. The back half of the knife (known as the spine) is usually softer to make the knife somewhat flexible and absorb shock. The edge will be much harder to hold that edge.

This isn't "making basic shit", there's actually science involved.
Somebody "gets it!"

I was hoping for a video like this, without the use of electrical appliances:

Back