• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to repair differentials?

OLAF

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again Freinds, it seems that the gears in my rear diff. are starting to go bad, it makes a whining sound when I drive and I have isolated it to the rear axel, the oil is very dark and murky, while the front dif. oil is clean and clear. The question I have is how to ajust the gears when installing the new
ones. I am a certified helicopter mechanic and have done backlash adjustments on helicopter transmisions and tail rotor gear boxes.Time tools and dials indicators are all available, but in my service manuals there are no indication of performing this kind of repair. are there any manuals or videos anybody can recomend?

OLAF said:
Hello again Freinds, it seems that the gears in my rear diff. are starting to go bad, it makes a whining sound when I drive and I have isolated it to the rear axel, the oil is very dark and murky, while the front dif. oil is clean and clear. The question I have is how to ajust the gears when installing the new
ones. I am a certified helicopter mechanic and have done backlash adjustments on helicopter transmisions and tail rotor gear boxes.Time tools and dials indicators are all available, but in my service manuals there are no indication of performing this kind of repair. are there any manuals or videos anybody can recomend?
www.dana.com
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/5304-2.PDF

Last edited:
It's all in the FSM. On a Dana, first to set is pinion height, followed by bearing preload, and finally ring gear backlash. On a Dana pinion height and ring gear preload/ backlash are adjusted by shims, on the Chrysler, the ring gear backlash and carrier preload are by screwed collars in the casing.

Last edited:
Back