• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to pull a drivetrain?

WarGin

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I didn't really know where to put this, so here goes.
I obtained a 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis, a few years back, from a roomate who bought it and found it needed more work than it was worth(frame rotted, no brake lines) and gave it to me for free.
It's got a 5.0 and an AOD(I think) automatic, with only 40,000 on it.
How would one pull the whole drivetrain for a future ( jeep or otherwise) motor swap, allowing it run? Like what wires/computers do I have to keep or remove to facilitate the removal of the motor and tranny so it'll work on a stand or in another car? I have a tractor with a front end loader to function as an engine lift.

I have wrenching ability , but have never messed with computerized cars, I'm used to carbs, so I'm kindof lost.

best starting point would be to pull the engine, trans, and harness together, then work through the harness removing wires that arent engine control. I dont know the specifics of that engine, but likely it would run with just the computer, some fuses, relays, and an ignition wire. Fuses for O2 sensors (if there are any), fuel injectors, coil(s), computer. Relays for ignition power and fuel pump (possibly others if the engine needs it), and a signal from the ignition to switch on the computer. After that, you would be dealing with wiring up your gauges which would be easy if your xj is older than 1996, then linkages, and driveshafts, and about 100 trips to the parts store for random parts and pieces.

It's possible to do a cheap rebuild. Find some new higher flowing heads, intake manifold, headers and cam.
Should be able to get it around 300HP. Most other parts can be found in the scrapyard. Don't go over 400HP
(turbo, NOS or whatever) you'll saw the block in half.

Last edited:
Not actually planning a swap into a jeep for the moment, just want to pull a low mileage v8 out of a car I need to get rid of (ie scrap), don't want it to go to waste.
I'll track down a service manual for computer location and important relays etc.
Thanks for the tips , gotta do it in the next few weeks.

You can disco all the electronic stuff, just label everything. Then remove from body. That may be easier.

Yeah, pull all the electronics along with the engine, plug it all back in how it was. Then store it till you want it.

I would also avoid that electrical system though, IIRC that is ford EEC-IV and is known for blowing out ECUs and ignition modules. May be wrong, that's just what I seem to remember. You can always run it with megasquirt or find a way to make a later ford injection system work with it.

If I had any spare time right now I would offer to drop by and help for beer, EFI swaps are fun, but I am completely swamped.

Back