• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to lower an XJ and go road racing-

My rallycross XJ which had to be lowered to pass tech is built similarly but for two items: I'm running custom Deaver rally springs in back mounted conventionally. And the front bumpstops were totally removed. That function was replaced with a Prothane progressive insert to for bump control plus a little roll stiffness and a custom short plastic dowel inserted to provide a hard stop just before the steering hits the pan. I'm running less drop than you guys because I still need a little off-road capability. But my gravel-spec rally tires are pretty short and that drops it a little more.

I want to chat with you, sir. Richard has told me about your build on another forum and really has me thinking. I just got done with the Dirtfish three day school and have the rally bug bad. Why not build another XJ since I am familiar with the platform. Brakes, shocks, suspension and tires are the big topics.

Matt, thanks for writing this up. Sorry I didn't get a chance to get your number and call while I was up in Seattle this past week.

SeanP :beer:

Come out to a race. I'm racing a 2-day event at Glen Helen (San Bernardino) next weekend and another at Prairie City (Sacramento) late May. But note, this is a dirt racer, not a stage rally car. I did however interview a couple XJ stage rallyists in building the car. The XJ replaced my modified EVO X and is significantly faster. Hot damn!

Come out to a race. I'm racing a 2-day event at Glen Helen (San Bernardino) next weekend and another at Prairie City (Sacramento) late May. But note, this is a dirt racer, not a stage rally car. I did however interview a couple XJ stage rallyists in building the car. The XJ replaced my modified EVO X and is significantly faster. Hot damn!

I heard via Richard you were turning in some great times with the XJ. I will definitely see you at Prairie City.

I lOVE that seat. what modification did it take to get it in there
We just built a very basic base (some scrap steel, welded to the floor) and bolted the Sparco sliding rails to it. It's great for racing, but for day to day use it can be tedious because it's kind of a pain to get in and out of.

-Matt

Does this belong to you?

IMG_2847.jpg

Yup, that's his.

That must have been taken just a couple days ago.

But it's due for an imminent facelift. As soon as my parts come in for a thru-the-hood CAI, it goes off to the paintshop for a R-W-B color scheme. Probably Baltic Blue with red trim and white graphics. Then some horsepower stuff and finally a stroker maybe late this year.

have you though of vinyl wrapping it? easier to fix and more durable than paint, especially if it's going to be subjected to rocks and dirt clumps kicked up by the tires.

have you though of vinyl wrapping it? easier to fix and more durable than paint, especially if it's going to be subjected to rocks and dirt clumps kicked up by the tires.

I'm too lazy to do it myself and too cheap to pay the going rate. It's okay that it gets beat up -- that's why I picked it. BTW, that's your hood -- thanx.

And the front bumpstops were totally removed. That function was replaced with a Prothane progressive insert to for bump control plus a little roll stiffness and a custom short plastic dowel inserted to provide a hard stop just before the steering hits the pan.
G&G is putting together a set of those bump stops for the Petty Cash car also.

-Matt

G&G is putting together a set of those bump stops for the Petty Cash car also.

-Matt

After bottoming the suspension (rear only) at this weekends rallycross I added a pair of 4.5" Prothane progressive rear stops too. They don't just bolt up, you have to redrill the holes and it's kind of a pain because you need to trim the urethane some. But only an hour install. You'll hit them earlier because they're taller, but it won't be a hard hit like the OE bumpstops because they have these collapsing slots as part of the progression. Might be pretty useful on the track for tuning balance. I've also fitted an Addco big rear swaybar leaving the 28mm large OE bar on the front. It turns in pretty good on dirt. Can't really tell how it would work on pavement because my rally tires are too knobby to get good grip.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/19-1311/10002/-1

Ummm, actually R-W-B. Red/white/blue -- some sort of patriotic racer paint scheme. I figure that's fitting since I have the only american car in the class. I run against Subarus, Evos, and the occasional Quattro.

Ah, ok....kinda wondered about that. Might consider the old AMC racing color scheme then since the XJ and 4.0l were about all that was left over from the Chrysler takeover by time your XJ was built:thumbup:

img121.jpg

Yeah, but I get concerned about it becoming a clown car. It already sticks out like a sore thumb among all the sports cars.

I've got a paint scheme in mind that's a lot more subtle, but still gets the point across. And then again, the only one who really has to like it is me.

Hey, I resemble that remark! Does this mean you will not be adding a custom rear spoiler ala the SuperCherokeeBird?

-Matt

Hey, you guys have a sense of humor built into the sport. That's one of it's biggest appeals. (My neighbor has a pig welded to his car's roof. You probably know why.)

-- Bill

That must have been taken just a couple days ago.

But it's due for an imminent facelift. As soon as my parts come in for a thru-the-hood CAI, it goes off to the paintshop for a R-W-B color scheme. Probably Baltic Blue with red trim and white graphics. Then some horsepower stuff and finally a stroker maybe late this year.

Yup on Sunday. I helped out with the Ride For Kids event.

Back