• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to install 2in coil spacers

well first remoce the shock ,jack the front end as high as you can.see if the spring clears the post (note you might have to unbolt the brake caliper to get enough movement),if it doesn't clear the post then you'll need to go rent some spring compressors

rookiexj said:
what is the best way to install a 2in poly spacer for the front of my xj. People have told me to compress the spring. what do you all recommend.

That's one way to do it.

or

Unbolt the brake calipers, shocks, track bar and sway bar jack up the opposite side of the axle from the spring that you are trying to remove and if you have stock springs you may be able to get enough clearance to get the spring out.

Once you've got the spring out of the way; spray the post with some PB Blaster or silicon lube and run some inside the spacer as well. Slide it onto the post as best as you can, you may have to push one side up over the lip first and then use a mallet to get the whole thing around the post. Flat side goes toward the engine.
spacer.jpg

It depends on the condition of the spring isolator. If it's in good condition, you may get an extra 1/4" or so of lift.

As far as renting spring compressors, the store here had 'em $20.00 to rent, or $25.00 to buy. Buy 'em and charge a buddy $10.00 or a six-pack to rent 'em from you.

At Auto Zone they have a Loan-A-Tool program. They ask for a deposit which they give back when the tool is returned. I have used theirs on many a times.

dan89XJ said:
Hmm.. I dont know.. but are u suppose to remove the original spring isolator ?

Not necessary. Say you have a 2" thick spacer and you remove the 1/4" thick stock isolator, your 2" spacer will only net you 1 3/4" of lift.

karstic said:
Not necessary. Say you have a 2" thick spacer and you remove the 1/4" thick stock isolator, your 2" spacer will only net you 1 3/4" of lift.

So, stock XJ isolators are 1/4" ? I was reading somewhere someone did a BB using a 5/8" stock rubber isolator, any idea where to find one of those ?

Dan

Back