• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to cut tire siping

asp

NAXJA Forum User
i did a quick search and didn't come up with anything...

but here's my story. i've been looking at my new 34x10.5 LTB's and they have almost a half inch of tread from the top of the tread to the base, but it's close to the wear bar. i want to cut out that extra rubber and get the full tread depth in all places. these are going to be wheeling-only tires. is tire siping something i can do myself? is it worth trying to do myself? someone please shed some light on this.

Here ya go.....
http://www.texas4x4.org/showthread.php?p=219478#post219478
And I thought these were for trimming fenders.
nutkick.gif
<--- me

I have heard of using a skill saw that would allow you to control the depth a bit more than the chainsaw of the video

holy crap that guy is crazy for using a chain saw on those tires. he must have had a lot of liquid confidence. lol i would be afraid i would cut to deep and ruin a 400 dollar tire

You aren't really interested in siping your tires, right? If you want to trim the wear bars try a Dremel. It worked for me when I need to get a few more miles out of a set of tires. I tried a pair of dykes first[come on, this is a perfect setup for lesbian jokes, don't let us down] & it was a pita & didn't do a neat job, so I tried the Dremel & it worked o.k. but I went through quite a few cutting wheels. BTW siping tires used off road isn't a great idea. My sons' Goodyear MTRs wore out pretty fast & we were told it was because he had them siped & rocks eat up siped tires.

You aren't really interested in siping your tires, right? If you want to trim the wear bars try a Dremel. It worked for me when I need to get a few more miles out of a set of tires. I tried a pair of dykes first[come on, this is a perfect setup for lesbian jokes, don't let us down] & it was a pita & didn't do a neat job, so I tried the Dremel & it worked o.k. but I went through quite a few cutting wheels. BTW siping tires used off road isn't a great idea. My sons' Goodyear MTRs wore out pretty fast & we were told it was because he had them siped & rocks eat up siped tires.

tires really start chunking when siped deep, I hit ansdspun on an old peice of culvert, I lost a 3/4 inch strip of tread almost right around the tire. good thing they were some cheaper kuhmo mts.

Get a grooving tool,they really are not that expensive.

my original plan was to take any and all rubber that was not normal tread off down to the base of the tire. on the LTB's, there's a slightly raised section, about the height of the wear bars between the center pattern of tread.

so what does a grooving tool look like? is it basically just a handheld u shaped razor to cut down? i've seen how the factory cuts siping in big construction retreads, but these aren't quite the same size. i just did a quick google search and that looks like it's more for siping. i guess i should have said 'tire grooving", not siping in my OP... i'm looking to take out about 3/16" width of tire down to the base of the tread, maintaining the original tread pattern, just getting some extra life out of the tires.

yeah now that i think about it, it is. i'm more looking at regrooving, but good info in all cases anyway. i found next to nothing when i searched.

Well in this case my grinder idea is not going to work for what you want to do but works great for siping.

true, it reminds me a bit of the chainsaw approach though. and as badass as that is, it's a bit scary.

true, it reminds me a bit of the chainsaw approach though. and as badass as that is, it's a bit scary.
I think its far safer than a chain saw and works wonders on beat dirtbike tires for rock runs. Just do 1/16 slits all over the tire in cross patterns and see how it works. Makes a ruined dirt bike tire stick like glue.

Siping is TOTALLY different,its about "micro" cuts in the tread.Re-grooving is a whole different subject!

I know that, and I guess the OP finally figured it out. If you want to groove your tires, use the tool I linked to and use the blade right-side up ;)

Back